What'a call it?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by pittendrigh, Jan 27, 2011.

  1. pittendrigh

    pittendrigh Active Member

    What do you call a streamer tied on a snelled hook--made from throw-away vinyl painter's gloves, and/or or sandwich bag? The clear sandwich bag stuff in the lower fly is almost transparent in the water. But it does catch the currents, causing the fly to flutter and swim this way and that as you retrieve it.

    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Loren Jensen

    Loren Jensen Active Member

    poor man's baitfish..? i am terrible at names
  3. Luke77

    Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

    So is the fly tied on the mono or the hook?
  4. stilly stalker

    stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

    trojan man.... because it looks a lot like you are fishing a condom. try it ribbed, better action!
    I bet it already has a ton of action. AND you can easily color it with marker, AND it looks light as hell.
    Nice pattern
  5. Loren Jensen

    Loren Jensen Active Member

    i like that. that should be the name dude!
  6. pittendrigh

    pittendrigh Active Member

    It's tied onto the mono. If you wrap the right stuff IN FRONT of the model perfect loop lump,
    and then put it a micro-dot of CA glue in the right place, it never slides back. And then there is no long stiff
    streamer shank to deaden the action. Then the whole fly moves, end to end.

    If you start off much the same way, but then add in some secret spawn sack foundation magic, then you can make this:


    Snelled hook streamers work well for me.
  7. Philster

    Philster Active Member

    I'd call it the 103. Because $103 is the fine for Littering an amount less than or equal to 1 cubic foot. And every cast you're littering :rofl:
  8. Luke77

    Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

    Very interesting. I've never seen that done before. Thanks for the info.
  9. Steve Call

    Steve Call Active Member

    I'm doubting the painter's glove claim. I'm with stilly, it looks like a condom.
  10. pittendrigh

    pittendrigh Active Member

    RE> I'm doubting the painter's glove claim. I'm with stilly, it looks like a condom.

    I thought about calling the top two "rubbers." In fact that's a good idea. I'll have to try using a rubber. Thank you.
    That's a stiff idea. Thicker sheets of rubbery material don't move much, while the
    thinner stuff really does catch the water, and ripple and move.

    But not all snelled hook streamers use plastic (like the sculpin above). So maybe I'll just call them Snellies.

    RE> "Littering." I don't necessarily dispute that argument. In fact I have to agree to some degree.
    But if you do stand by that complaint, then you have to apply it to foam, crystal flash and all the other synthetic stuff too.
    Unless perhaps you just enjoy and revel in inconsistency. :))

    ....a Pogo once said: " I have seen the real pollution. And it is us."
  11. Jeff Dodd

    Jeff Dodd Active Member

    "For her pleasure"
    Glove Love
  12. stilly stalker

    stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

    Do french ticklers catch german browns is the real question here
  13. Philster

    Philster Active Member

    I wasn't criticizing it. You asked for a name. I thought 103 was clever... I guess not :confused:
  14. pittendrigh

    pittendrigh Active Member

    RE> "I thought 103 was clever... I guess not"
    It was clever. But I got a name. At least for now. It's the Glassfish.
    The opaque condom-like white one is history.


    The plastic bags do take colored marking pens, thank you Stalker. Damn. I didn't even think
    of that. Slanting, alternating olive or blue and gray stripes on the otherwise clear bag job streamer (above) look--seductive.

    RE> "Put eyes on your flies"
    You're right about that. I'm a real believer in eyes. I always try to work into the final design. These were just prototype idea ticklers.

    Here's how to make the more complex Sculpin (above). The Rubbers are a lot easier to tie.
  15. Jamie Wilson

    Jamie Wilson Active Member

    Trailer Trash
  16. xdog

    xdog Active Member

    Great tie and replies.

    I was thinking the "Litter Bug".