Whatcom County High Lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Lenkerr, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Lenkerr Aimless Wanderer

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Can anyone recommend any of Whatcom's high lakes other that the usual Tomyhoi etc.? Anyone been up to Church or Bearpaw in recent years? Or Canyon off of Mosquito Lake rd?
  2. uncoolperson *splash* *splash* *splash*, I need a life vest

Bellingham, wa
    I'd be interested too.
  3. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +108 / 0
    The Galena Chain Lakes (Iceburg, Hayes, Arbuthnut, and a fishless little pond), a 2.5-mile hike from Artist Point around Table Mt., are favorites of mine. They are anything but secret, in fact, are thronged with hikers on the loop trail most late-summer weekends; they're stuffed with too many brook trout (keep a few with a clear conscience). And the scenery - Mt. Shuksan behind you, Mt. Baker looming ahead of you - may drop you to your knees.
  4. Brian Curtis Member

Silverdale, WA, USA.
    The best thing to do is get out some maps and go exploring. There are roughly 400 high lakes in Whatcom County. You're more likely to find good fishing by finding the out of the way spots lots of folks don't get to and those that do won't talk about.
  5. Lenkerr Aimless Wanderer

Bellingham, Washington
    I never worry about the hikers they are harmless. I have spent many a day climbing and skiing those hills but have yet to fish any lakes. Guess it is time to take the plunge (so to speak). Thx for the tid bits.
  6. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +495 / 2
    Are those high lakes shore fishable? Or is it a tube sort of thing like the lowland lakes? I'm not a huge lake fishing guy, but I might head up just for the alpine fun if I could fish from shore.
  7. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +108 / 0
    The Galena Lakes have a fair % of open shoreline. I should mention the Bagley Chain Lakes, several small ponds visable off the road between the ski area and Artist Point. Brook trout and open, treeless shoreline.
  8. pluto New Member

Normandy Park.
    The beaver ponds that you reach by taking the first right after crossing the nooksack before heading to the ski area have lots of brookies as well. Not open yet I presume.