What's 6" and surface feeds on euphausiids?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by riseform, Jun 3, 2008.

1. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    I fished the incoming tide yesterday and as I approached the beach I could see surface activity that brought a smile to my face. Over the last week, the few times I witnessed surface activity were quickly rewarded with a cutthroat within one or two casts. I tied on my trusty surf candy and quickly realized these fish wanted nothing to do with my offering. I peered into the water and my usual bait fish were around in addition to an incredible population of clear 2cm euphausiids. I resorted to watching the spectacle without participating.

From what I could determine, the feeding fish bulging at the surface were around six inches or slightly larger. Occasionally I'd see one near me rise quickly, feed and return to the depths. I'm embarrassed to ask, but being new to the salt I'll swallow my pride. What's the differential diagnosis (and age) for surface feeding fish of that size in this situation?

2. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    I've seen that recently too, they look a lot like herring to me.

3. Hooker

Hooker Banned or Parked

Herring and/or perch. Perch will make a little popping sound when they feed. Herring usually are a little more "splashy"

4. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    Danny DeVito at an all you can eat shrimp feed? I dunno..

5. Bugthrower

Bugthrower Willits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Miniature Puget Sound Tarpon, otherwise known as Pacific Herring or could have been sticklebacks.

6. HARDER

HARDER New Member

I noticed the same thing on Saturday in Case Inlet. I saw fish splashing the surface and upon closter examination, they were feeding on euphasids. The small fish were moving in one direction, as though there was no threat. If the fish are all over the place, there will usually be a predator or two in hot persuit. I was wondering what they were when they cruised under the rowboat and concluded they were herring.

7. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Member

I've seen juvenile coho, herring, anchovies, and smelt all in that size range in close like that in the past 2 weeks down on Pickering.
    Lost of sand lance and still some chum fry smaller than that around too. Hundreds of 2" sculpins right on the edge of the water at low tide. Forage fish of one sort or another all over the place right now. Picked up 5 cutts in 1/2 hour of fishing the other day too, no coincidence...

8. John B

John B just tryin' to keep the skunk off

I also encountered what looked to be juvenile cohos (~7" or so) last time I was out. They were rising in a rip around a point which was channeling a bunch of chum fry their way. I was hoping some of their older, larger brethren would also be taking part in the buffet, but had to move on down the beach after regrettably hooking a couple of these little guys. I had seen a bunch of herring around in that same size range, so that's what I was expecting when I felt the first little tug, but was surprised to see a little coho had taken the fly.

9. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

riseform -
    This is also the time of year that most of this year's crop of smolts have just left their natal home waters. The cutthroat smolts at the time of smolting are typically in that 6 to 8 inch range.

While it is prossible or even probable that the fish you saw as suggested were herring or small coho they could also have been cutthroat. These small cutthroat do grow pretty quickly and by late summer they will reach that 8 to 11 inch size that we often associate with first year sea-runs.

Tight lines
    Curt

10. tahuyamg

tahuyamg tahuyamg

I was out fishing the the South Hood Canal this weekend and the perch were everywhere! Thousand upon thousand! This was happening Every where I went. Over the weekend I fished quite a few places on the canal and perch fry were Ever where (did I mention this already)? Unfortunately I have not seen the numbers of chum fry so far this year. Sad situation and I hope The Dec. floods have not hurt the chum as bad as I think the storm did. By the way does anyone have a fly pattern for these perch?

11. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    I'd like to thank everyone for sharing your insight.

Wouldn't herring swim and feed as a school? These appeared to be individual fish rhythmically rising from holding areas rather than a sweeping school of marauding feeders. I'm tempted to believe these were juvenile coho or even cutthroat smolts given my observations.

Given that I'm still clueless, I'll try a herring pattern the next time I encounter this situation and see if I get lucky with a larger predator.

12. Olyfly

Olyfly -

Mark,

A good pattern that I have found works for the shiner perch is a yellow Knutsen's spider with a white or greyish-white colar/hackle.

-Oly

13. Bugthrower

Bugthrower Willits

Media:
    Home Page:
    When there are no larger predators around herring pretty much just mill around feeding in a relaxed fashion, from my experience when herring display this behavior the success rate is minimal.

14. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    Makes good sense, thanks.

15. chuckfish

chuckfish island boy

i live on port blakely on bainbridge
    the beforementioned has been happening for the last 2 weeks
    here, they are herring and i believe they are spawning
    someone can correct the spawning if i am incorrect on that part
    but they are herring and sometimes waves of them

16. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Chuckfish, any chance we met last weekend at Peninsula Outfitters and/or Eglon beach? I met a sharp fella from Blakely in a small group there.