what's a bird worth?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by SeanM, Apr 23, 2008.

1. SeanM member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I have a buddy of mine who is an avid bird hunter. He primarily goes after ducks, but he has been known to go after other prarie birds like grouse and pheasants.

He isn't into flyfishing at all and really doesn't do anything with the feathers once he gets the meat.

I told him he should think about keeping the hide and feathers if he can after he harvests the meat and sell them.

Do you think there is a market for selling feathers off the birds he shoots? What could ask for them?

I'm thinking he wouldn't ask for much - just something to support his favorite sport of hunting.
  2. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    I did a trade with one of our fellow fly fishers.
    I gave him two full rooster pheasant hides and tail feathers.
    He gave me 12 of his sweet hand tied flies.
    Totally priceless.
  3. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Can you legally sell parts of a game bird? I'd guess not.
  4. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    It's probably illegal, but...if your friend wants to sell skins, hungarian partrdige are the only upland bird I believe that is worth any $$. Pheasant skins are pretty cheap. A hun skin in a fly shop can be $20-30 each.

I've traded hun skins in the past for flies. It was well worth it!
  5. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +248 / 1
    Hun skins are available all the time for around $12.00 from a wide variety of shops. The quality is the same throughout. It may be that none of these shops are local to you so you may have to buy online. You won't make much money selling them for cash but as previously stated they are great for trading.

TC
  6. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    you need a permit to sell them and then only pen raised ones. It is not worth the fines and jail time to sell without the proper permits.