Whats in your vest to tie with?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dustin Bise, May 24, 2008.

1. Dustin Bise Active Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    So today I put togather a little on river kit, its 3" round, 2 inches tall and holds hooks, beads, swiss army knife, and a ton of random scrap pieces of tying material. Im wondering what materials you feel are usefull enough for a kit on such limited space?
  2. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    the pockets of my vest are filled with boxes and theres no room for tying stuff.

i like to tie indoors and not on a stream or even when i travel.
  3. Calvin1 Member

Seattle, WA
    If I were going to carry a small kit on stream with me, I'd have some pheasant tails, copper wire, peackock herl, beads, some grizzly hackle, moose main and dry fly dubbing. For me, that would cover what I would feel like i'd need in a pinch.
  4. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Lead wire, beads and some foam so I can modify the sink rate of flies already in the boxes.
  5. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +98 / 0
    So are you going to use the tweezers for a vice? What about a bobbin?

I have never been fly fishing and needed to tie up a few quick patterns right on the spot. With boxes filled to the brim, I don't have that kind of need. I do however take a traveling tying setup whenever I am going on a week long trip, just in case I run out of a specific pattern in my box, or discover a new pattern that might be more effective for the next day.
  6. Dustin Bise Active Member

for a vice i usally use a small piece of wood and sink the tip in, and i just wrap thread onto my finger for the bobbin.