What's the best fly line for the money?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Water Flogger, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Water Flogger

Water Flogger Howdy neighbour!!

Any opinions out there? lol :ray1:

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    The one that I'm using at the time and it's catching fish.

My bad. I misread it. I thought he said fly.

3. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    What's the purpose of the line? Dry fly fishing, nymphing, streamers, salmon in rivers, salmon in salt, tropical lines, what?

4. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    Depends on the rod. Each one will prefer a different line. Trying line on a rod before you buy is as important and trying rods.

5. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Others raise good counter-questions. I'll just state what I stated in another thread:

I'm a huge fan of anything Airflo. I love their compact Skagit/Scandi heads and running line on my spey rod. I love their Ridge lines on my trout rods. But that's just me.

6. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    Just a matter of opinion, I just bought the '09 Rio gold for my 5 weight. I caught a 16 inch cutt on my 3rd cast. 'Nuff said! lol

7. Arthur Vakulchik

Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

Media:
    there arnt very many good cheap lines out their. every one of my lines is a oiece of crap except on my spey rod. but all those lines still fish. if you want something cheap go with one of th SA. they have fairly descent lines for an absolutly amazing price.

arthur

8. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

Sciangler for pretty cheap, but I love me some rio and airflo, personaly, the best stuff out there. Now i just neeed to save enough money to get one of those rio multitips.......

9. Keaten LaBrel

Keaten LaBrel Formerly Tyinbugs

Media:
    i'm a s.a. fan

10. Water Flogger

Water Flogger Howdy neighbour!!

You have a diff line brand for every type of fishing? Wow, Dude, your life is complicated! ;)

WA, BC, MT stuff...lakes, streams, small-med rivers...stuff like that there. I was looking at the S.A. stuff today. 50-60 bucks a spool here. Will have to look at the AirFlo and Rio stuff as well. Any good online sources? I buy a lot of stuff from Flyshack.com.
    Any info on a good deal for mail order stuff?
    Thx for the responses. :beer2:

11. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    In a nutshell, you should pick the line a) that works best for your type of fishing, b) that works best for your rod, and 3) meets your budget. Nope, my life isn't complicated, but there isn't a 'one size fits all' fly line.

SA is my favorite all-around fly line maker. If you have a fast action rod, it's more than likely to your benefit to either upline by one line weight, or buy one of the '1/2 size larger' fly lines, such as the SA GPX, etc.

12. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    It's not about brands, it's about tapers, coatings, indicator tips (Rio Nymph), floating, sink rate etc. A good, inexpensive line for small-medium trout streams is Rio Mainstream. You can get it for about $35 and it's a very nice, very basic fly line.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Lines, rods, reels, are what you like. Not what everybody else likes.

When ever I spend money on flyfishing it is what I want and to hell with the masses. After all it is me/you using it. I have tried a few different line out there and I have settled on the "peach" line(Cortland) for my 3wt and the GPX(Sci-ang) for my 5wt. And I like both lines.

There aren't many line Companies out there that sell good lines. So choose wisely as it is you using it not these people.

Jim

14. Bullwhacker

Bullwhacker Member

I started with Cortland then moved on to SA then onto Rio and never looked back. I can't say anything about Airflow but I've never been dissapointed with Rio. The coating started to come off my Rio 8wt line and it was replaced last week. Customer service was good.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Dry? SA GPX, Sharkskin or Airflo DT ridge line
    Streamers? Sharkskin, Sharkskin Magnum Taper or Cortland Clear Camo Intermediate
    Chironimids or deep dredging? No preference yet, anything fast sinking seems to work well.
    Beach? Airflo 40+ intermediate (backup is a floater), Sharkskin Magnum Taper, Rio Outbound intermediate (backup is a floater)
    Steelhead? Rio Versatip (love the tip options without spare spools especially for winter), Sharkskin Steelhead Taper for summer.
    I've got a few others.

16. Preston

Preston Active Member

As soon as you can define "best" you may get some answers that mean something. Any flyline on the market today is a "better" line than anything available a few decades ago. I think I could probably get along very well (thank you) with a selection of basic lines like the Cortland 444 or the SA AirCel/WetCel series. A look at the Scientific Anglers (as only one example) catalogue should convince anyone that the proliferation of "specialty" lines long ago passed the point of being ridiculous.

17. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Flogger,

I assume by best fly line for the money, you mean the highest quality fly line for the least amount of money. That's gotta' be the venerable Scientific Anglers Air Cell Supreme that's been around nearly 40 years. It still sells for about the same price; I've seen it (and bought a few) for $29. There are better quality lines available today, even from SA. Those lines cost from almost twice as much to more than twice as much as the Air Cell Supreme. However, none of them cast, handle, or last twice as well or last twice as long. So on a dollar per unit of quality attribute, the Air Cell Supreme is the best fly line for the money.

Sg

18. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Media:
    AIRFLO,

On another note I sure hope that the Fly Fishing Retailers Association has Ed Call on their Christmas card list...from the look of things you are doing your part to keep them afloat.:D

19. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I think two of the best "budget" lines are the SA Ultra IV series and the Cortland 444 Peach lines.

My favorite lines, and I have far too many, are my SA Sharkskin 5wt, SA Steelhead Taper, Airflo Compact Skagits, Sage Quiet Taper (3wt) and whatever line matches up w/ what I'm fishing.

20. Oakwood

Oakwood New Member

I've been plenty happy with my Cabelas's Prestige Plus WF5 floating line for small creeks/rivers.