whats the best line used for pinks and src

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Pete Bridge, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I just bought a new Outbound. It has a new, sinking running line and is much better with the tangling problem. It roll casts very easily and the new running line is nice and slick so it shoots out well. I had only one small tangle on the first day. It might be worth trying if you like the Outbound performance.

2. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

I have VERY limited experience with all of this, but I did pick up a RIO Outbound short and really love the way it shoots out there...I was getting way more distance than I've ever gotten with any other line. I did find that it did tangle a fair amount even after I stretched it before I started...but, it certainly casts a country mile.

any tips on solving the tangling problem?

3. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

:thumb::thumb:...I agree with Richard & Dimebright also! Love that SA intermediate...far better than my Outbound !

Jc :)

4. Matthew Joyce

Matthew Joyce Member

Quick question for those of you who love the Streamer Express. How is the clear head? I had a SA clear line two years ago (after they supposedly corrected the coiling issues) and it was the worst, most frustrating line I have ever cast. I stretched it hard and it still coiled bad. I can't see a slinky shooting very far no matter how good the running line is.

5. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

I’m with DimeBright Coach and Richard, I was a big fan of the Courtland clear intermediate when it first came out and used it for number of years but the line coils were frustrating, haven’t used the Rio so I can’t comment. Courtland has sense improved it but compared to the SA Streamer Express integrated line the SA line is hands down a tool well above what I have used in the past. If your not using integrated lines you are dealing with line connections snagging in the guides when retrieved to the beach or boat. I fish from a boat and to me its very important to fish the fly all the way back to within view. I don’t want a line connection hanging up in the guides every time I retrieve or set up for the next cast.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I love the 40+ by Airflo. I bought a used reel with a SA Streamer Express that was a year or two old and despite regular stretching (and putting a good pull into it) I still get a bit more tangling. Both make me feel like a casting champ even though I'm bombing out about 60' at best. I did just pick up an Outbound for a song and look forward to stringing that up and seeing if I can cast 62' with it. All of mine are integrated lines, so far I've only fished heads with running lines on my two handed experiments on some slimy rock rivers and beach casting tests.

7. Anil

Anil Active Member

Obviously there are a lot of opinions on which particular brand of line is the best. We carry all three, I fish all three and I think that the differences between them are mostly overstated.
    Imagine you were on washingtontrucks.com. “What half ton pickup should I buy?” Chevy!!! Ford rocks!!! Dodge…
    The point is that the Outbound, 40 plus and Streamer express all do basically the same thing. A floating line simply won’t do. I know that I’ve just offended a lot of Sea Run Cutthroat guys, but the original question had to do with “Pinks and SRC”. Say what you want about Cutthroat, but a sinking line will produce Salmon with much more consistency.
    Anil

8. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

My personal order of importance in fly lines.
    First-Intermediate: SA Streamer Express
    Second-floater: SA Salmon Steelhead Taper or Teeny Longshot (a sleeper of a floating line that deserves more attention}.
    Third- deep sinker; Teeny or SA fast-sinking Integrated head {for beaches like Lincoln Park that get pretty deep and you need to get the fly down a ways, or way down.
    These three line types will, in various weights, will cover all the bases in the salt from Hartstene Island in South Puget Sound to Prince of Wales Island in SE Alaska.
    Les

9. marcopolo

marcopolo Member

After using an Outbound then a StreamerExpress and now a Forty+, I'll rank them like this:
    1- StreamerExpress. But the running line started cracking after two seasons and eventually broke.
    2- Forty+. Love the feel of the running line but hate the splice to the intermediate head.
    3- Outbound. OK line but I felt it tangled too much.

10. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I go along with Ibn. I use an Outbound but also have a 40+ floater in my bag just in case. I do prefer the Outbound, however. The new running line is really nice.

11. ralfish

ralfish Active Member

Nothing new to add what hasn't been said already. You must decide on budget. Then figure out really what line type you need.

1. On a tighter budget but allows you to cover the most bases in an ok fashion: multi-tip line

2. More money available to have dedicated line on a couple of spools: Full floater and an intermediate. Here is where personal preference comes in. I have tried all of the common ones mentioned and most have some sort of performance based issues. However my personal faves are Cold Water Outbounds in full floater and intermediate tip. But, I find the intermediate tip sinks too fast for some of the places I fish so I dress it with floatant. That helps, but must be done every time I go out. Works for me though.

Other lines I use and like: S.A. Streamer Express, Cortland Lil Tuny Camo (Fave intermediate line) and 40+

12. wildbuca

wildbuca Member

I noticed the new rio outbound short is only avaiable in a 15ft intermediate head (not the full 30). The full 30ft intermediate head is only available for 8+ weights.

Is that enough to get down a bit? Any thoughts?

13. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Wildbuca,
    I was trying to figure that out myself. I was going to order one but once I saw it only has a 15' intermediate head, I bought another 40+.
    I'd like to see Rio make a OB short with a floating running line and a full 30' intermediate clear head in line sizes 5 through 10. Just a personal preference thing on my part.

14. Saltman

Saltman "Just Fish!"

Hey Guys...
    "Short" is refering to the head length (i.e. 15'). The regular RIO Outbound lines are 30'ish heads.
    Hope this helps.....

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Saltman and Ibn, those short heads bear all the weight in that 15' right? This would indicate rather than carry 30' aloft you would only have 15' aloft and then shoot out your running line, is this right? I'm thinking in some situations that short super heavy head might be the right tool for some high tide places I've fished with limited backcast. Thanks.

16. Saltman

Saltman "Just Fish!"

Correct ED... They were made to cast bigger bugs with less effort.

17. Saltman

Saltman "Just Fish!"

Correction however from my first post... The head of the "Short" is 30'2" vs. 37.5' for the "regular" Outbounds.

18. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

The overall head on the OB Short is 30', with just last 15' being the clear intermediate portion of the head on their WFF/I lines. Regardless of whether it is a floating or intermediate head, the first 30' still weigh the same.
    http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=139

19. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

what do you guys think of a quality floater say a Rio Gold with a braid welded 200g 15' sink tip?

I would hate to spend another 65.00+ on an 200g Streamer Express 200g or Outbound tip. Need alternative routes.

20. FlyOnThe Beach

FlyOnThe Beach New Member

:thumb:

Also, in regards to sink rates like a few people ask they are the same as this is with the density of the line so length is irrelevant. Personally I like the feel of the running line on the regular outbound but I seem to get under a years worth out of it due to cracking (too much fishing I guess :beer2:). The running line was "fixed" with the short but does take some getting used to. In addition, always good to at least carry a spool of floating line (again prefer outbound) if using a intermediate line. I'm not as coordinated as others that actually carry two rods (I have a lack of trust for leaving one on the beach when fishing as saltwater requires us to move more).

I have seen a few people get hooked on the Outbound at shows or local shops and put them on their slow/medium action rods when fishing and getting frustrated :beathead:. Realize the shooting lines due tend to work better on fast action rods. :thumb: