What's the best steelhead river right now in the northwest?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by manitoba, Oct 24, 2010.

1. manitoba

manitoba Guest

Anybody have any advice for the best steelhead river right now in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, or southern BC? I'm looking to take a 4 day wading trip soon, but not sure where. Thanks.

2. oldskool

oldskool Guest

uh oh......

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    If someone came on and posted up the "best steelhead river in the NW" for thousands to see... It wouldn't be the best anymore.

Just sayin

4. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    Seriously?

5. manitoba

manitoba Guest

ok, fine, haha, thanks for the help... yea, how about this... does anybody know any decent rivers to check out besides the methow, klickitat, grand ronde...I'm just looking to go somewhere else and don't know any destinations other than those in eastern washington.

6. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    there is some chinook in the lower spokane and 30" browns good luck yo!

7. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
  8. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    Fish are all over the place in east side. The snake is good all the way to the Grand R. The Heavy rain we just had over here will only make it better.

9. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I would really conceider the north fork of the stilly, you & your guide will have it all to yourselfs, the guides on the west side are starving to death ,So you should get a deal, It's a classic historical steelhead stream, althou your only about 20 years to late to see it in its heyday. But best of all you won't be on the wenachee or methow which is were everybody and ther dog are now fishing!

10. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

O'rad you are nuts and that picture is awesome :)

11. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Just cuz the pic iz cool!

And the best steelhead river is the one that you're standing in.. I'll give you a hint, I've fished four different rivers in the past ten days, all good ones.. they're the blue lines on the map and all within a 6 hour radius of the greater Seattle area... :cool:

And I seriously am surprised that you got so many civil responses.. guess guys don't have the shack nasties... yet! :beer1:

12. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    I had 'em, but penicillin cleared 'em right up.

13. dreamonafly

dreamonafly Member

Media:
    thats an coooooool pic.. bill

14. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

I would hit the peninsula if I was you.... just sayin'. The Sol Duc gets crossed by hwy 101 5 times, that equals lots of wading access. Add to that all the other access points, hatchery coho to spice things up, and many other rivers in the genetral area to hit as well, and I think you could have more water to fish than you could begin to touch. Just get a room in Forks and start exploring, and try to ignore all the rediculous twilight garbage everywhere.

Peninsula steelhead in the forks region only take you seriously if you wear glitter, so you look like edward.

15. Backwoods Angler

Backwoods Angler If you tell them, they'll know!

Its just one after another with you eager anglers isn't it lol I joined the site to talk about fishing, not ask where the best rivers are or when to go to them. However alot of anglers are about numbers, not the experience. I believe Google would be a productive way to go, you would be surprised at the information on it. Also go check out guide reports, then you can get an idea on where to go. Get rescourceful and enjoy the fishing :)

16. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Can't help you with where to go, just where not to go though that can change day-to-day. In all seriousness, most of the Upper Columbia run is hanging out in the main stem and not up in the tribs like the Methow and Wenatchee yet. So if you want to have a better shot at catching steelhead, I'd head somewhere else. Sure, some people have gotten lucky but most are leaving dissappointed.

17. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Manitoba,

If you only know of the Methow, Klickitat, and Grande Ronde, then why not pick one of them and go there? If I knew of a river with better fishing and no angler crowds, I sure as hell wouldn't share that information with you! Hell, I wouldn't share it with most of my fishing friends, nor would they with me, as even one more person contributes to crowding. You want to talk about steelhead fishing? Fine. How to? Anytime. Where to? Get off your ass and go spend your four days on one of the rivers you know about. After fishing it for four days, you'll know it a lot better and have a good idea of whether you want to go back again, or maybe try a different river and add some personal steelhead river knowledge to your data base instead of internet gleanings. Hell, I got skunked two out of the last three days, and I think I know what the fvk I'm doing.

Sg

18. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Its the Deschutes. The nice thing is that hardly anyone fishes it and those who do are very laid back about getting to and holding runs. Now get going before everyone reads this and beats you to the punch.

19. Rimmy

Rimmy Member

IT's the river that Salmo_g is on this weekend just ask him

* View Profile
    * View Forum Posts
    * Private Message
    * View Blog Entries
    * View Articles

20. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

by far the best river in the northwest is the one I'm not standing in. I stay on the west side and fish the rivers in vertual solitude, mainly because the fishing sucks. so if by now you haven't got the message you need to find your own rock !