Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Whats the best way to clean cork grips?

11K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  pearow 
#1 ·
I have a rod with some light soiling on the cork grip and I dont want to ruin its appearance by using the wrong stuff. Any advise?

#16 ·
You fish it more. You get it wet more, you wipe it dry, you don't take any drastic mesures to remove the rod's soul from its previous successes.

#17 ·
Bad juju! I've never cleaned cork on a flyrod. Only time I've ever cleaned cork on a gear rod was after using bait. And even then it was a dunking in the river and using my hand to get residue off. I call it a patina on the handle.

Leave handle as is. Keep its soul intact. Next thing you are gonna ask is best way to clean your vest! Blasphemy! ;)

#22 ·
LOL!!!!

Actually, I remember the saddest (and happiest) day with rods. My Uncle gave my my Grandpas old cane rod with old skeleton framed pflueger. Still has an odd looking flyline on it. Well, my uncle (not being a fisherman) said the grip was grimy, so he sanded it down. UGH!!! Had a beautiful layer over that cork. Remember it fondly. Looks nice and clean now, but would've rather had the grimy cork.

#24 ·
steal that can of scrubbing bubbles the little woman uses to get the soap scum off the porcelin tubs and sinks; spray it on, wait a couple of minutes and then scrub the grip with a soft brush then rinse with water; looks like new; old grips might require two applications-p-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.