Whats the Deal with the resident silver fishery?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jonathan Walkenberg, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Jonathan Walkenberg Member

renton, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Why is this an acceptable fishery? Isnt it just like fishing for steelhead smolt?
    I guess whatever floats your boat, just seems retarded to me. :hmmm:
  2. bconrad Member

S Rivers
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Pretty sure rezzies are all hatchery fish...I could be wrong though.
  3. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    I do not consider a 10 to
    15 inch fish a smolt.
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,702 / 2
    They're hatchery fish. Bonk away!
  5. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +52 / 1
    Do you know anything about the program?
  6. colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

gig harbor, washington
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    obviously not. i suppose he doesn't like searun cutthroat then either because the majority of the src's are all in the same size class as the rezzies
  7. MDL We work to become, not to acquire.

Gig Harbor, WA
    Jonathan,
    Before saying something is retarded why don't you use the search function on the forum or search for the history of Puget Sounds' resident coho fishery on the net. It may not be for everyone and it provides a nearly year round fishery for us, especially when the rivers blow out.
    tight lines...
  8. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +406 / 0
    Troll alert.
  9. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +52 / 1
    I agree.
  10. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +476 / 0
    I don't necessarily think he's trolling, simply unaware of what a resident coho is. Resident coho are coho who, for whatever reason, do not choose to make the long oceanic migration of most of their brethren. Puget Sound and the Strait of Georgia, all of the protected inland waters of what has now been designated The Salish Sea, once hosted large and healthy populations of these coho which chose to remain, feed and grow within their waters. Sixty years ago, we used to fish for them in the spring, the limit was six fish under eighteen inches and the most popular tackle was a string of pop gear with a worm trailing behind. We called them "feeder silvers" and it was a very popular fishery.

Such overfishing in the sport fishery may have been a factor in their decline as has been the continuing deterioration of suitable freshwater spawning and rearing habitat which has decimated all coho populations. A couple of decades ago it was discovered that, by retaining hatchery-reared coho beyond their normal smolting time, they could be induced to remain within a localized area throughout their saltwater growing period. Although the majority of today's resident coho are probably of hatchery origin, there are still native populations.

A similar phenomenon occurs among chinook; our "blackmouth" are, essentially "resident chinook". Just as blackmouth don't normally reach the same size as the ocean-going chinook population (although, if memory serves, the Puget Sound record blackmouth is over thirty pounds), mature resident coho seem to run considerably smaller than those who make the oceanic loop; rarely exceeding five pounds.
  11. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    Preston, that is a well thought-out and
    informative discription of resident coho.
    Nicely done.

Dave
  12. MDL We work to become, not to acquire.

Gig Harbor, WA
    Preston,
    Thanks for posting some of the history behind it. Thought I would let him research it and didn't think he was trolling. The residents seem to be putting on a little weight and soon should be table fare size. Seeing more hatchery residents than a few weeks ago where the majority were wild or unclipped. Also saw a blackmouth, I believe, surface about 40 feet from shore and about 24-30 inches. Just saw its silvery blue back.
    Tight lines
  13. Jeff Hale B.I.G.F.F.

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    I teach high school mathematics and get an up close look at kids every day and your comment reminds me of something one of my freshmen might say. Are you a kid or an adult?
  14. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +328 / 0
    Seems like "retarded" questions! :beathead:

Roger
  15. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    Retarded ? for a forum that a majority of members are all about native stock only,I'm wondering why we are still in favor of mutating silvers & kings to stay in the sound so we have some thing to fish year round,maybe we shouldn't fish year round and give the salmon a break!
  16. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    if y'all think its "(hatefull word)" stay off the water
    after a slow last year i am stoked to play with these aggressive eaters
    these are the fish that got me into salt water ff
  17. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    This is the heart of the delayed release program. Smolts held until roughly May will usually stay in the sound rather than go to sea, depending on forage and water quality or something. Those raised in net pens in the salt don't have a natal stream to return to, so the impact on wild runs is minimal. These fish move around the sound, following food sources, and providing great sport in what's otherwise slim pickens.

Once they're over 16"or so, they are good to eat, and arguably take some of the pressure off cutthroat, since we can legally keep one, and are really easy to hook. That might be wishful thinking on my part, (the providing an alternative for SRC poaching part). They bite just about anything that looks like food.
  18. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +718 / 0
    Don -
    Not so sure about theimpact form these hatchery coho being minimal. The fact that the fish are released from nets pens and don't have a natal stream just means that those uncaught adult will "shotgun" throughout the region with individual fish spawning in a variety of nearby streams. They all try to migrate upstream in a trib somewhere to spawn. It is because of that behavior that raising Chinook in net pens were discontinued. If coho were ESA listed use of net pens would largely end as well.

In addition to those potential genetic interactions there are ecosystem interactions that can be negative. They potentially compete with native coho, sea-run cutthroat and other native salmonids for a variety of food resoruces. As they grow they also become potential predators for smaller salmonids.

It is interesting how folks will give a free pass for those critters we enjoy and raise holy heck with others.

Tight lines
    Curt
  19. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +187 / 0
    I seriously doubt there is to much competition for food in south puget sound between SRC and salmon right now or in the last twenty five or thirty years for that matter. The areas that I fish still have the same amount of bait, krill and so forth just a heck of a lot fewer salmon.
  20. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    Curt, I'm guilty of over-generalizing, thanks for keeping me honest.

I'm speaking based on a microcosm of an impact based on the extreme south sound. When the system works properly, late release fish from the Squaxin pens stay down here for the most part. Since there are no viable runs of wild fish left here in local streams, and the Deschutes didn't have wild fish above the falls before they built ladders, the model works pretty well to provide a put and take fishery in the salt.

You're right about the impact on wild runs when the little bastards DON'T stay here where we want them to, and bolt north. They could end up anywhere. and interfere with populations from here to Neah Bay.

I attended a presentation by Larry Phillips just yesterday on SRC's in this area. He's found that although Coho will crowd out cutthroat when competing for spawning and forage advantages, in this area at least, sea run cutthroat are thriving, and the Coho suck wind. In my playground, the resident program is working from a recreational standpoint, and hasn't hurt the wild stocks.

I think the important thing to remember when making the kind of observation that I did earlier is that regional differences are dramatic, so the one size does not fit all when we're attempting to recover wild runs and provide economic and recreational opportunities to maintain public support.