Whats the earliest you have caught carp in spring

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by longstick, Jan 1, 2009.

1. longstick

longstick Member

I am down for the winter and rented a small cabin on Lake Tapps. I have heard from guys that there is alot of carp in this lake. Also my Uncle owns a home on the columbia outside of wenatchee. When should I start looking for fish and on the columbia where might I find some in central washington. Thanks
    Jake

2. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Carp are warmwater fish... I have not found them particularly active before April, although a really warm day might spark some to nose around in the shallows. Eastern WA warms up sooner than the wet side.

Moses Lake and the columbia south of vantage are good carp spots:thumb:

3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    I'll just add the Seeps and Banks lakes as places to find carp. I've heard of people getting into them as early as March on the lower Columbia but I've never had much luck earlier than April. The warmer the better into the summer.

4. sharpshooter223

sharpshooter223 Member

ive seen carp year round around here even though i dont go down to the river very much this time of year (nothing to fish for). i have no idea if they are feeding or not. i have no idea what time of year they start feeding on small organisms but around the tri cities around spring they are pretty easy to catch with bait. two years ago there was a group of eastern europeans just wading around grabbing and netting them.

5. Zach M

Zach M Because I floss so hard

Media:
    man i want to catch my first carp where in lake tapps are they?

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    The wet part of the lake, where the rest of the fish hang out. Just busting your balls man, just busting your balls.

7. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

Zach, start you search in the shallow areas that catch full sun during the day.

8. sharpshooter223

sharpshooter223 Member

where i live, in some spots the river bank is built up so there is a high point that slopes fairly steeply down right into the shallows (my favorite bass spot) and when i go out there i can see right into the water and often see carp rooting up the place. also by the marina right nearby it i can see carp from the bike path when the water is clear enough. another time when it was acctually summer when i went to my bass spot there was carp splashing around everywhere knocking my bass lure out of the spot i wanted it to be. they are pretty easy to spot on a sunny day if the water is clear though. look for a high point to spot them from.

9. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Media:
    I caught carp in the winter on winchester wasteway by potholes last year on a really cool RL hare's ear in an olive color. PM me for the exact spots though. The funny story behind it was that I was duck hunting and saw about 15 carp at the bottom of this slow moving section that was about 3 feet deep. I ran back to the truck and put on the money fly and caught 5 carp in about 25 minutes. It was -3 degrees with wind chill so there was some ice forming on the banks...

10. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    tapps has decent smally fishing and some tiger muskies BTW... Pretty lake too, nice veiw of ranier... I'd probably look for clearer water for carping, but then again I've only seen the carp never caught them, couldn't figure out how to past a beetle fly on the bottom of the lilly pads...

11. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

There are some flats around Orondo, Wa, east side of the river, and there are some flats around Entiat. Plenty of places to put your boat in.
    I tried the east side of the river this summer in August, but the weeds were very thick.
    I did see many hugh carp and the biggest bass ever in my life.
    The NPM were thick and I caught many of them.
    I think I'll try a little earlier this year before the weeds get thick.

12. longstick

longstick Member

Gary that is perfect. The house is in orondo, I will start scoutting in April. Thanks for the help.

13. Gatorator

Gatorator Member

flywaterguides

Look in the shallow water on the East side of Tapps. Starting in April and into late May they move in to spawn. Concentrate around Snag Island and Inlet island. Take a drive around the lake now and note where the mud is. In the Spring the water will come back up and the fish will move in with the rising water. You will see that it will be only about 2-3 feet deep when full.

Great fun and good Rhoddy fertilizer.

Also good for Bass and Tiger Muskie to the mid 20#s. :thumb:

14. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    check this out for carping info, the hosts of the podcast are kinda idiots but their guest seems to know a ton about carp fishing, wish I had heard it before I went... http://ffotw.com/?page_id=475&epsd=17

15. longstick

longstick Member

Gatorator, I live down the street from there. I am off of 64th. T have a shallow cove in front of me the islands are in view. I will start the study. Thanks.

16. Trashfisher

Trashfisher Member

Media:
    Even though carp are not regulated with respect to catch limits, specific season and such, can you still fish for them in a water body when that water is closed for the season? Just asking because the Winchester is usually closed from November to February and duck season usually ends mid January.

17. sharpshooter223

sharpshooter223 Member

if the water is only closed to one type of fish you can still fish for them, if its CLOSED WATERS then you cant