What's Up with Water Skeeter Too!

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Dr Bob, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

I have been researching pontoon boats and went to the Water Skeeter site (www.waterskeeter.com.) It is dated 2008.? Then I went to there www.waterskeeterdirect.com site and there are good prices on most of their designs. Are these good pontoon boats? Are they have some financial problems?

Dr Bob:hmmm:

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I went there from here and it said inventory update 10/20/09. That sound reasonable to me.

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Not sure, More likely they've simply not updated their web site in some time.

But to address the larger question and at the risk of pissing off some the happy Water Skeeter owners here, IMHO, it's not what I would consider one of the top tier pontoon boats.

Why? Low price is not a determiner of quality, but more likely an indicator of questionable quality, manufacturing or materials or all three. I'm not sure about Water Skeeter, but both Outcast and Bucks Bags boats are made in the USA, as was (and still may be) NFO/Scadden boats. Anyone else offering a low-cost boat is probably selling ones made in China or Korea.

While that's not in and of itself a problem, give some thought to resale value. There's a simple reason why used 'toons from Outcast, NFO/Scadden and Bucks Bags command the prices they do. AT some point you'll most likely be selling whatever boat you buy. Better to buy one with a reputation for durability and quality than one that was the cheapest in the pack.

K

4. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

My Waterskeeter has served me well. I've had it for about 5 years. I have no idea what model it is/was because I bought it through Orvis. It has bounced off of most of the basalt in the lower Spokane with hardly any wear on the toons. I ended up buying some Skykomish Sunrise tubes because I wanted longer tubes to be able to load stuff up for an overnighter. The boat is on the heavy side with a steel frame and beefy tube coverings. The worst I could say is that the pontoon to frame attachment is not as easy as some, however it's every bit as sturdy.

Resale value on most pontoons isn't that great from what I've seen anyway.

5. flycasterwa

flycasterwa Chris Delsing

Media:
    I have two, had em for a few years now and no problems at all. In fact one is just sitting in my basement. If someone needs a boat let me know, I can cut a decent deal

6. ejaquish

ejaquish New Member

PM sent

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    So Doc Bob, where have you been hiding at. I still haven't used up those soft hackles you sent me last year. But this is a new year and they will be put to good use.