Whats your favorite 5 wt. stillwater

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Brian in OR., Jun 4, 2014.

1. Brian in OR.

Brian in OR. New Member

Rod and why ???? Time for a new stick and looking to see what people are using.....

2. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I like soft sticks, easier on the light tippets. I have a Sage VPS that I use. I use 4 wts a lot. I am building a 5 wt fiberglass right now.

Wayne

jake-e-boy likes this.
  3. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

my working rod for lakes is a 4 weight Reddington voyant. it actually casts better with a 5 weight line so it covers both .

4. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

my favorite 5wt for stillwater is a 10' 4wt, and like Wayne stated, on the soft side

5. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    The ? is what are you
    fishing for, dries, nymphs,
    lakes, rivers....I don't care
    for 5 weights they seem to
    be to little (18 inch SRC) or
    to much.

CLO likes this.
  6. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

well since this is in the stillwater section, i would venture to guess he is not fishing rivers.....

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

583-4 Sage DS....soft medium action and makes a good fighting 12" RB feel like a 8lb steelhead..;)

8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I use Cabela's L-Tech in both 4 and 5 wt for Stillwater. They are very light, powerful and reasonably priced rods with a great warranty. The 4wt is usually rigged for either a dry or intermediate line and the 5 wt easily rips a Deep 7 out of the water and lays it back out effortlessly. Plus they have about the best reel seat in the business regardless of price.

Ask the man that owns one. (Packard slogan that originated in 1902)

Ive

9. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Sage 9' 5 wt LL or 9' 5 wt SP

chief and Kent Lufkin like this.
  10. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    I've been pretty focused on stillwaters for about 10 years. I agree with previous comments about softer tips but I like rods that can be muscled when wind is a factor. Some good ones for me have been Cabelas L-Tech, Winston Vapor, Sage SP, and Loomis GLX classic.

Gotta say that I think rods are way less important than lines, terminal rigging, and puzzle solving when it comes to success on trout fishing in lakes.

Krusty, Jeff Cheng, Irafly and 2 others like this.
  11. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

12. chief

chief Active Member

Here are my suggestions for a 5wt depending on your budget and new vs. used:
    Older high end rods - Sage LL or Sage SP
    New high end rods - Scott Radian or Hardy Zenith
    New budget rods - Redington CT or Echo Solo

I have fished the older Sage line-up for many years, but recently have added the newer Scott and Hardy, and I am impressed with the design. They are lighter but have more power yet retain a pretty soft feel. They can huck streamers and indicator rigs, but can also softly land a dry.

13. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

I've my old Powell light line 91/2 for 4/5...fished with WF4 lines. 4 wt. sinkers sink, but are fairly slow...too small to sink too fast. It's over 20 years old now, but i love it..it's length helps with casting off of stillwater, it's soft tip protects tippets on big hits, it's flex and power all the way to the butt helps wind casting and landing big fish.

little rod likes this.
  14. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    I'll probably be the only one around here who likes shorter rods for stillwaters (or the majority of fishing for that matter). Currently my two on-board rods are a 7'6" 4wt (I'll put a 5 on it sometimes) and an 8' 6wt. Both are glass. I also go in with the knowledge and acknowledgement that you can't cast as far for the most part (4wt sure, but my 6 is a cannon...so sort of true) and don't quite have the line control at distance, but the trade-off of ease of landing fish is totally worth it to me. You have to be a bit more keyed in to things as well, but I'm fine with that...that's part of what makes it more fun (for me). I figure I catch enough fish to make me happy...in fact, I fished a mountain stillwater last weekend and there were probably an equal amount of missed strikes (indi fishing---& after comparing notes at the end of the day) between me and my buddy who was fish a rod well over a foot longer than what I was using.

Paul Potter and tonemike like this.
  15. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:

Steve, we may be talking about the same thing. I got a 5 wt bamboo rod from Mike Monsos earlier this year and the thing that struck me about is the feel was just like the Sage 5 wts LL and SP I favor. Actually Mike's rod is closer to the LL than the SP.

I have Mike's rod packed for about two weeks in Yellowstone. Tour bus leaves in a week.

16. Yak

Yak Member

I also like the Sage LL and RPL's. I usually run a 4 wt LL or RPL for chiro fishing with indicator and a 4 or 5wt RPL for sinking lines.

17. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Five weights have given way to the new age four weights. A number of years ago, I fished primarily with a five weight system. I now use a four 9 foot, TFO four weight for all my Stillwater fishing. I too, over-line it with five weight lines and it likes it so I didn't bother buying new lines when I switched rod weights.

It casts well within my skill level, is light enough that typical trout planters are fun to fight yet heavy enough that I've managed to land a number of adult steelhead in lakes so I wouldn't bother with a five weight and go with a four weight instead.

18. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hey Bill, have a great time in Yelloestone! Bamboo and wild trout...can't beat that.

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  19. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:

just a hunch...I'd venture to guess that "within your skill level" is probably a bit better than the vast majority of posters here...just a hunch...based on your experience there, Gene.

Cheers

FinLuver likes this.
  20. jdbutula

jdbutula Member

Sage RPL 5wt is a nice soft rod great for chironies, or slime lines.
    Enjoy your new rod!