Whats your favorite chironomid color?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fly15, Jan 30, 2002.

1. fly15

fly15 New Member

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Chironomid colors

I find it really funny that olive is the hot color, as I have never fished an olive chiro in my life. And not to mention that I am the only one to vote for a metallic color. As metallic, black and red are all that are in my box.

3. fly15

fly15 New Member

Chironomid colors

i to have no olive chironomids in my fly box but obviosly
    someone has had some luck with them.I have always herd that
    black and red was most productive.So off i am to tie some olive chironomids.Thanks for all the input i sertanly learend something. :THUMBSUP

4. callibaetis

callibaetis Guest

Chironomid colors

When I voted for maroon I was informed that I had already voted, what gives? Maybe I voted for the wrong color, the ballot was misleading!
    Anyways I vote for maroon.

5. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

I'm an olive guy

I voted for olive, though red/maroon would have been a close second. Actually it's tough, as my box is full of every color on the list, and I also tie a lot of orange, pink, peacock sword, and light green (even a couple chartreuse, especially the micros). Interestingly, if I'm light on anything, it's black, and I hardly ever fish black. Olive may not be the first chironomid out of my box, but it's my go-to when the going gets tough. I don't have the discipline for indicator fishing, so I fish a super-slow hand-twist strip on a 10' sink-tip on a reasonably short cast for a fairly vertical retrieve. Or in the surface film on a floating line and a long greased leader, casting to risers.

OH YEAH! and grey and dun.

6. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

CHIRONOMID COLOR

MAROON, THE ONLY COLOR THAT WILL WORK IN B.C. WHERE I SPEND MOST OF MY TIME.... BLACK ON OCCASION, BUT THE CONSTANT ONE HAS ALWAYS BEEN MAROON

7. guest

guest Guest

CHIRONOMID COLOR

I must be the only odd ball here. I've never used them. It might be that I try to spend most of my fly fishing on moving water. I'm going to try a few lakes this summer. Maybe I will try them. From this poll I know what to get. Jim :COOK

8. fly15

fly15 New Member

CHIRONOMID COLOR

I have also had good sucsess fishing chironomids under an indicator for bluegill.Has anyone ever caught any other fish
    besides trout on chironomids like maybe white fish. :DUNNO

9. ChucknDuck

ChucknDuck New Member

Chironomid colors

Been fishing olive with a silver bead head 95 % of the time the last few years. Once in a while change up to a chartreuse v-rib pattern or even a hot pink pattern at Dry Falls just to give them a new look...usually works for a while. Have better success with the silver bead than the copper for some reason.

Go Cougars!!

10. Rob Blomquist

Media:
    CHIRONOMID COLOR

There is an article in the Winter 99 issue of NW Fly Fishing mag that says that Brian Chan (Mr. Chironomid) has caught lake trout, pike, and lake whitefish on Chironomids (pg 43).

11. Chinook Electric

Chinook Electric New Member

CHIRONOMID COLOR

Fly 15,

I picked up a walleye at Sprague Lake on a chironomid! Would be that carp would take them too, but haven't tried.

12. Rob Blomquist

Media:
    Chironomid colors

Chironomids have a little white tuft on the top of their heads that are their gills. A good chiro pattern always imitates this with a tuft of white feather or yarn, or a silver or white bead.

Read Rowley's book, "Fly Patterns for Stillwaters" for more information.