What's your favorite deer cartridge? Elk cartridge?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by John Dude, Nov 14, 2010.

1. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    I don't have experience with it, but I remember reading that is roughly 80% of the recoil of the .44 mag. A little digging around the web and I saw that number and 85%. Take that for what you will, as it obviously depends on several factors (bullet weight, velocity, weight of the gun, etc.) Point being, it's a step down from a .44, but not a giant one. Find the heaviest gun you can....

2. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    As I revisit this thread, I must admit that my 180gr Hornaday SST handloads for my .300WSM really did the job on that elk. Clean through, taking out both lungs, liver , and the bottom of the heart.

View attachment 49065

3. ffishnfly

ffishnfly Roger AKA The Fish Whisperer

.257 Roberts for deer and .270 Winchester for elk, both Remingtons. Models 700 Classic, and Model 721 respectfully. And I wouldn't hesitate to take the Roberts elk hunting with some of the new bullets.

4. John Dude

John Dude Learned skills from George Dickel

What bullet would you use in a 257 Roberts on elk? The smaller case capacity would limit your downrange energy. Shot placement would be crucial. Are there still elk hunters with that much patience? (So many people I run into during hunting seasons seem to shoot first and look later. They can be scary to be near)