What's your favorite Duck/Goose loads

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Slipstream, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

I have had good success on geese with my Remington 870 using 2 3/4" Federal T shot and 2 3/4" Remington BB's. My 11-87 killed a couple geese the other day with some #2, 3" Hevi-shot. I haven't found a duck load that seems reliable, although it might be me. The mallards are tougher to keep up with on the swing. I've been using # 4's for the ducks.

2. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

i use 3 1/2 inch BB for geese or bigger ducks and 2 shot 3inch federals for smaller ducks seems to work for me and my benelli :)

3. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Media:
    Home Page:
    For geese I use 3in. kent Fasteel #1's 1 1/4oz.
    For ducks I use 3in. kent Fasteel #3's 1 1/4oz.

I have keiiled a lot of birds so far this year and these loads I find to be my favorites. I like them more than black cloud and hevi shot.

Clint

4. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Pattern pattern pattern. Modified? IC, C, F, etc? Over decoys, pass shooting? To many variables.

I find for ducks my 11-87 patterns best for over decoys with my modified choke, 3", #2 - 1.25 oz. of shot, and in the FPS range of around 1200. I've found that the faster loads donut.

BTW - I like your choice of guns! I have a tough time staying down on my dad's SBE...some times I could swear the barrel is bent! :clown:

5. J.Butch

J.Butch New Member

The other day with Andrew I was shooting Estate steel 3" #3 with 1.25 oz. shot with my 870. Shot 5 times, downed one duck but don't know if Andy dropped it or I did or if we both got some shot in him...? To say the least I was not impressed. I was trying out a new extended MOD choke though and I haven't yet pattered it. I need to do my homework by getting out to the range and see how picky this new choke is...

6. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Benelli SBE II IC choke
    Geese Fasteel 3 1/2 inch BB's
    Ducks Fasteel 3" 3 shot.

7. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I typically use Kent fast steel as well. Though I shoot the 1 1/8 oz loads; I think the extra speed (1560 FPS) gives me better pentration and rarely have a pellet in the breast meat. My typically range is about 30 yards so use #2 shot for snow geese and most ducks. Drop down to #3 shot for smaller ducks and pheasants.

I shot an over/under double with IC and Mod chokes.

Tight lines
    Curt

8. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

i shoot the IC in my nova over about 10 dekes nothin big but does pretty decent in the beginning of the year and later i switch to larger spreads

9. Slipstream

Slipstream Active Member

Thanks for all the input and information. I'm going to pattern the 11-87 with some #2's, BB's and T's. I shoot a modified choke over field decoys, usually about 30-35 yards. I'm going to try #2's for the ducks after reading the replies. I concentrate mostly on geese, but there seems to be a number of mallards around for this early in the season. I might as well cash in on the greenheads while I have the opportunity. Nothing like fried duck breast, eggs and hash browns for breakfast! Thanks again.

10. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    I echo Guy's choices except for the gun. He would be using a Beretta Extrema but obviously didn't know better at the time he made his decision on his shotgun choice...:)

11. XstreamAngler

XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Beretta XII is a shooter for sure!

12. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    I shoot 2 3/4 #4s over decoys for ducks. And lately I have been shooting 3" 2s for geese. IMO if the birds are committed over decoys and you are shooting straight, the load doesnt matter a whole lot.

13. Upton O

Home Page:
    Slipstream,
    Please be sure to pattern you gun with several different chokes and loads. It is amazing how much variation there can be. Andrew also makes a very important point regarding velocity and steel loads. Research has shown that "donut" patterns can start showing up in 1300+ ft/sec loads. I think the topic was discussed in Waterfowl magazine a few months back.

14. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Ah, Karl. I'm happy with my choice. I hope you are, too.

Steel works good. Hit 'em, they fall down.

15. Upton O

Home Page:
    I know Guy, just tuggin' on your coat. Beretta users use Berettas because those are the ones they used first. Visa Versa for Benelli owners. Both are excellent semi-auto loaders.

I was out hunting ducks yesterday. My Extrema II was soaking wet last night. Took it apart, dried it out, cleaned it, let it dry more over night and reassembled it today. Good to go. Hopefully will have some birds to fool tomorrow.

The Kent Faststeel really pops the birds.

The

16. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Kent fast steel here, too. 3" 4's for ducks, 3 1/2" 2's for geese. I'd like to try heavy-shot, but if I got to liking it, it's too darn spendy for my wallet.

17. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

Shot some kent fast steel today, and some Hevi shot and now i have a new favorite haha