What's your favorite spey reel and why?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Matthew Gulbranson, Jan 4, 2010.

1. It's been said that flyreels and shotguns are jewelry for men...

2. You would have to have ordered the reel a while ago to get it for this fall!!! lol

3. Bruce, I'm aware of this. It's in the works. Thanks for the heads up. lol!

4. I am a self confessed reel whore too. I am looking all the time, albeit more looking than acquiring. It is sad but true. That is why I enjoyed poking fun.

Opening the first chapter of RWA.... Reel Whores Anonomous, who's ine

JOe

5. Guilty. New to expanding to two handed reels, but way too many fly reels in my collection.

6. I think I will be a member of RWA very soon....

7. I only buy what I need. On any given day I need one more reel than I presently have.

Sg

8. like these...on my bigger rods, the sarra's

smaller rods the hatch or nautilus..

9. My favorites so far are:

Danielsson 8/12 for my 7wt spey
    I like the light weight and Large arbor for quick line pick up.

Hardy Cascapedia MKII for my 7wt spey
    I like the sound, though less rewarding then my Marquis. Don't care for the heavy weight and the fact it was made in Korea
    really bugs me...don't know why, it's well built, I guess it's just because I thought I was getting English Made.

Billy Pate Salmon for my 7wt Switch
    I like the look, size and weight. Don't like the Anti reverse and lack of any outgoing sound. (Willing to trade anyone for a direct drive)

Hardy Marquis 10 for my 6wt Switch
    I just flat love this simple reel. I'll never sell this one for sure.

Would like to get a 4" Perfect someday. Lots of great reels out there so little money!

James

10. Dani's are super :thumb: Picked off yours in the avatar a few weeks ago. Hard to miss sporting that 'spinner' style retainer. Very recent production run, nice piece. I'm a big fan.

A few Bauers getting some use too.. Thumbnail of an MX5 [4.25"] below on a day that was well below freezing. I've never had trouble with my Bauers.

floatinghat, very cool history. The Saracione & custom H&H work is something!

[​IMG]

11. JW,

Does the DD pate have an out bound clicker? I got rid of a Fin-nor DD for the same reason. I now use and Islander DD as one of my SW reels and liked it so much I bought two Islander mooching reels.

SGR,

I'm trying to confirm the engraving, it was mentioned that H&H engravers did the work. The engraver initialed the work so that should help. Considering the engraving was done after the anodizing the work is amazing and the dollars that were mentioned might not be out of line.

12. The DD Pate, I'm not sure if it clicks or not, I just don't care for the anti-reverse, but I like the small package and drag knob location on the handle side.

13. Anyone fished with one of the new Meiser reels yet?

14. yup, I have two- the 7/9 and the 8/10- and those reels are without question one of the best buys out there. Think Voesseler quality at Redington prices.
    Sounds great with a fish on!

15. I wonder if Meiser gets his reels from Amundson, or perhaps the same manufacturer as Amundson. the two look very similar.

16. Hatch 7 plus!!!!!!!! Bomb proof sealed drag. The best reel out there!!!

17. Mine was a Tibor that was givin-it to a chrome hen today. Whhooot Wwwwhhhoooooottttt.

18. SA-Weet!!

19. Hello stewart dee,,are you saying you have a Tibor Spey?....may i have your opinion if you do please?..I'm thinking of
    the Tibor Spey reel and i would have to purchase online without seein and fondling...Thanks.