What's your record for not catching a steelhead?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Tracy Lauricella, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Tracy Lauricella Active Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I agree; obviously there is value in the process, or I wouldn't be putting in so much time and would have quit long ago. This morning for example, I was able to watch the sun come up while standing knee-deep in crystal clear water. An eagle flew right over my head while I was clearing ice from my guides. There was no one else around, and only the sounds of the wind and water to drown out the thoughts in my head.

Even so, anyone that's ever caught a fish longs for that excited moment when the line goes taut, so as someone that's never caught a steelhead, it's interesting to me how long I've actively tried without catching one.

Obviously if I just wanted to catch one and didn't care about the process, I could go stand with the crowds in Tokul creek and fish a 4' wide stream packed with fish. Not my idea of a good time, and I wouldn't enjoy it. So I stick to fishing the way I do- away from the busy crowded areas, and whenever I can grab time to do it.
    Dan Cuomo and Richard Torres like this.
  2. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +771 / 0
    Didn't catch my first steelhead until I was 22, then the next one was over a year later. I fished my ass off, I was (am?) just clueless. Been relatively constant since then.

Steel skunks? 3-4 trips in a row, is the usual max. I do try avoiding places/times I think I will get skunked. Off the top of my head, since September, I'm about 8-9 hours per fish, including two spectacular "all day fishing" skunks. I mean no fish caught at all. Not even a foul hooked sucker. Zip.

When I was living "on the farm" (Summer 08 - Summer 12) and fished less, my numbers (whatever the hell good they are) were better. I fished MAYBE 4 time in three years and (unless my memory fails me) I think those 4 trips produced 3 to hand and one LDR, @ about 2.5 hours per fish. Scott (a fishing bud) may have to call BS on my counting, he probably has a better memory than I and we may have fished more.

But now I fish in the bitter cold and more often, thank god, and my hours per fish have gone up. And who cares? I just want to go fish ;-)
  3. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    I've seen fish pulled out on the GR in Feb when there was literally only tow places you could get through the ice on the GR between Bogans and the state line. I remember my feet being numb, and of course, not catching anything personally :)
  4. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +62 / 1
    I do agree, even thought it has been over twenty years sence I caught a fish. It is about going out and having fun. If it was about catching fish I would have quite a long time ago. If I would have quite, I would have been out with my brother it the freezing cold floating down the Snoq. and gone thru two bottle of Fireball and still could feel my foot. I go for fun and be out with friends. That is the main reason I go.
  5. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Here, here!
  6. Randyflyfisher Member

Kitchener,Ont.,Canada
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    At some point in our steelheading careers I believe each of us confronted by the unpleasant aroma of the Steelhead Skunk. My longest time was a few years ago and lasted for a little over 3 months.
    On the up side it was ended with a steelhead around 6 pounds taken on a Waller Waker. Staying at it like you have shows patience,persistence and just plain stubborness to not give up. In my opinion these are qualities that are part of a good steelheader. Keep at it and best of luck in your hunt.

Cheers Randy
  7. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    i have about a 9 trip skunk going
  8. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +62 / 1
    Was out again a week ago. No fish, but I did leave work early and had a great day on the river. It talk to another fly fisherman on the river. It was another great day on the river. A fish will come when it comes. GREAT DAY!!!!