What's your tying space look like?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Big E, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Bighorn Flies

Bighorn Flies Member

Thanks but the pics you saw were of my old room, I wasn't able to edit the post fast enough. :)

2. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Looks good and with plenty of room. I assume you're commercial or tie in a shop. nice job anyway.

3. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

i'll post a pic of my cramped space tomorrow

4. Speychucker

Speychucker New Member

5. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

6. Chef

Chef New Member

Jergens: Looked at your blog. What is a dubbing box?

7. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Chef,

[​IMG]

Each compartment has a little hole for dispensing the dubbing. You can get them empty at most fly shops, and it organizes dubbing much better than a bunch of little bags floating around.

8. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Speychucker, Bighorn - I'm getting hard looking at your tying space. Is that normal? Maybe it's time to Ask Citori.

9. Jay C

Jay C Active Member

I also did the craigslist roll top desk, and I love it. Just like Mumbles, I am finally out of the cold garage.:thumb: I thought I had a lot of materials, but some of you guys have me beat.

View attachment 38091 View attachment 38090

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Cheez, nice setup, my desk is quite similar.

11. Chef

Chef New Member

I like the dubbing holder. Nice. I like the idea of the despenser too. I havent seen this at my fly shop. interesting.....

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Make one then. Get yourself as big a multi compartment box as you have storage room (or dubbing packs) to hold. Drill a 1/4" or 3/8" hole in the bottom of each compartment. Fill each compartment with your assorted dubbing choices. Get yourself a small hooked device (bend a hook, crochet needle, bent bodkin point, etc) to pluck out a little tuft for your fly or for blending with other tufts of other colors. You've built your own dubbing dispenser.

A multi compartment pill box, one designed for sorting into daily doses works well. Fly shops, hardware stores, big box stores, all should have a suitable container to make this work. I like the box for dubbing better than a bunch of bags.

13. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Like Ed shares, I use both boxes and bags.
    I custom mix a lot of my own dubbing so I use ziplocks to store so I can record recipes or inventory a larger amount. I'll often mix up a good amount at a time that will use up 2 or 3 store bought packets. Can't fit that much dubbing into a small dispenser. However I still use the plastic dispensers for unique items like dubbing kicker, dry fly dubbing, and etc that I use in small amounts.

14. Blue

Blue Active Member

Just wanted to share a new find. Looking through a Woodworking Mag.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21264&filter=magnifier and lamp

The LEDs around the magnifier are awesome, and that magnet base...WOW!!! I am still trying to get the light off the metal base...LOL
    It comes with a clamp on base too. AND it runs off 3 AAA batteries or the the adapter that comes with it.
    I also got the spot lite which is cool for pictures.
    This is going to be so easy to take on the road with me! So compact and LIGHT as in weight.

Took some pictures of the set up in action
    Clamp:
    [​IMG]
    lights:
    [​IMG]
    Goose neck:
    [​IMG]
    Big Fly:
    [​IMG]
    Little fly:
    [​IMG]

15. Chef

Chef New Member

thanks Ed! Might need to do a little tinkering.

16. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

x2

17. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Joni,

Like the pics of the light. May have to give that some thought for the shows this year. Lugging that Day-Lite around to the shows is getting to be a PITA.

REE

18. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Joni,
    That light's awesome, would help in tying small patterns.
    Good find.

19. William B.

William B. Member

So It doesnt look like a lot but it does the job. I have had that tying desk for 16 years and I just refurbished it this summer.

20. Guess Ill post mine...It is messy but has everything you need...including beer

[​IMG]