Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What's your tying space look like?

23K views 142 replies 60 participants last post by  Loren Jensen 
#1 ·
I've gotten a few ideas from looking at other people's flytying desks/space...what does yours look like?

#6 ·
like your current space hope it doesn't get any wind. See my space in the galley pctures I really like it and it works well. I've added some pics to my next post #34 to show my area and my new thread rack that I almost finished today.

#11 ·
I like the idea of using the klenex box for garbage.

Anyone use the left over trim instead of throwing it away?
The kleenex box was a tip I picked up from an online site. It works really well, keeps the fine bits from flying around.

I save as much usable trim as I can per tying session, but don't stress over it if I happen to feel like throwing out a few inches of something here and there.

#13 ·
View attachment 34824

View attachment 34823

Rolltop desk means I can cover my work at a moment's notice, which theoretically means I could move my workspace out of the garage and into the warm back room this winter. "Look darling, the mess just disappears!"

However, the desk is not big enough to hold all the ziplock baggies of bird and mammal carcasses. I still need a few shoe boxes.

#21 ·
Only this once have I found quality items intended for fly tying at a thrift store, but this was a mother load.

I read a board member mention once he found a Nor-Vise at Goodwill.... I rember that each and every time I walk in. You never know what will show up.

#17 ·
Slatwall rules.

This is a stand-while-you-work setup. I built a 42 inch high countertop in an 8x5 foot L-shape for maximum usable work area with storage underneath. Slatwall comes in 4x8 sheets. I split it the long way and mounted it about 7 inches above the desktop. It gives me about 13 feet of 6-row slats right at eye height.

Most of the material is hanging from pegs various length. You can get all manner of other hangers, too. I added 8 inch shelf brackets at the top of the long wall with LED puck lights underneath.

If you have the luxury of a dedicated work area, this wasn't very expensive and no special tools required. Circular saw, driver drill, etc.

Slatwall - $60/sheet
Closet Doors for countertop - $40
Melamine shelving - $50
Porch paint. $25

One meellion pegs. - Priceless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.