What's your worst skunking ever?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Slate Run, Apr 17, 2013.

1. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

My worst skunking was while on a trail run with my German Shorthair Pointer. He managed to find some carrion to roll in; just happened to be a skunk. How fortunate for me!

Attached Files:

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  2. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Media:
    yeah, my entire first year steelheading

3. Mike Danahy

Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

Media:
    My buddy and I averaged ten plus days a year steelheading on the hoh and didn't get a thing for the first three years we were out there. This was prior to the exponential growth of douchebags in boats on that river too, we could swing all day and not see a boat. I miss that place.

4. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Went to Alaska a few years back for the Sockeye run on the Kenai. Spent a week without a nibble and flew home. My brother called a week later and said 1.8 million had entered the river that week. That's a real skunk!

5. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

My first spring trip to Eastern Oregon to target ice-off - our target lake, which I had never fished but did a whole bunch of research and time dreaming about we got skunked for 4 hours fishing! low dirty ice off water didn't help so we went to 7 other res. and caught fish in all of them! but that one res. will see the wrath of me again until I redeem myself on it's waters! It doesn't help that it is about 400 miles away.

Yeah, I take a skunking very personal!!!

Also had to go springer gear fishing this week, our boat - two days fishing - 10 springers hooked - 5 landed. but gear fishing is easy and cheating, but I cheat alot when it comes to spring chinook!!!

aplTyler likes this.
  6. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    A tradition among a dozen or so of us is to meet up on opening day on Lake Hancock on the Snoqualmie tree farm. Three years ago, I couldn't keep fish off my fly. I'd sit in one spot and cast in a circle, picking up fish on every other or every third cast. During the course of the day, I probably didn't move more than a couple hundred yards from the launch.

The next year though, I couldn't buy a fish even though everyone around me was hooking up. And the more they caught, the more obvious it was that it wasn't going to be my day. I was completely blanked.

I firmly believe that a good skunking every now and then builds character. But at my age I'm enough of a character that you wouldn't think I'd need any more (and which is just one more reason I don't waste my time fishing for steelhead any longer.)

K

Lugan and Richard Olmstead like this.
  7. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Media:
    Albums:
    All 50 or 100 or whatever of my lifetime skunkings are equally the worst.

Kent, I remember that Hancock skunking, now that you mention it.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Any time I swing flies on a Puget Sound trib in Dec and Jan I expect a skunk. I have caught some steelhead in these months but my guess is it is 1 day of 10 overall and since I got better it maybe 1 in 5. It is just too cold. I have been gear fishing these months a lot more the last few years and it isn't great either.

My most epic skunk: three years ago while funemployed, I fished 25 days swinging flies in Dec and hooked zero steelhead. If it wasn't for the char I wouldn't have bothered so much.

9. Wilken

Wilken Member

I was fishing one of my favorite rivers in New Zealand. The prior day I had one of the best trout fishing days of my life with 19 hard fighting rainbows and 4 beautiful browns landed, all between 4 and 10 pounds. The weather was the same the next day and I headed out the door of the hut knowing that I was going to hook some more amazing kiwi pigs. I was right! However, of the nine fish I hooked, I managed to come unbuttoned on every darn one of them, mostly during amazing airborne acrobatic displays. The last one was a true double digit trophy and I fought it for quite some time only to have it come off 3 inches from the net. My girlfriend heard me screaming f-bombs from a 1/4 mile away. Completely disgusted, I walked back to the hut and got completely hammered on my favorite single malt. Hiking out with a hangover the next day didn't help my mood that's for sure. The fact that my gf landed 3 that day, all over 6 pounds, made my failure even harder to endure. Thankfully, she really knew how to console a man in my condition so the evening did provide some enjoyment. Somehow I think it would have been a better day if I hadn't hooked a damn thing. That last fish still haunts me as it was one of the largest, fittest and prettiest kiwi rainbows I have ever seen. Oh well, just another reason to go back to the S. Island (as if I needed another reason).

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  10. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    I have had that as well!! I didnt get the dinks though.... Swore I would never do that trip again... We used to do it every year on the Thanksgiving weekend. Last year was the first year I missed it due to my son being born.
    Man I miss the Crooked!!

11. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

photoshop alert ! dead fish, no water dripping off, and see the eye ? live trout always look towards home. guilty until proven innocent :eek:

silver creek schooled me more than once. 8-10 18-24" fish on mahoganies in a row, all lost in the weeds one day. my best day onany spring creek ever !

12. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

When I was first relearning I must have went a good 7-8 trips and didn't catch nothing it was bad. Had me wondering if I really had did this as a kid.lol But I do have a happy ending when I did finally land one it was 19'' so thats the good news.lol it was funny because I almost fell in. I was so happy I slipped and if I wouldn't have just sat down I would have been in 6+ft deep fast moving water and probably swimming for my life.lol

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  13. PT

PT Physhicist

Lk Ballinger a couple weeks ago after I'd read they dumped 6,000 fish in there. Didn't get a bite. Stupid fish!

14. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

I still haven't gotten nothing out of there and I have been 3 times. Thats just not my worse.lol But I figure it got to be hard to catch a fish that has seen every kind of fly that can be tossed. Shit I heard they are so picky that they turn down the real thing.lol

15. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Every single solitary time I fish the irrigation ditch, errr, I mean, the Yakima, with Dave Alberts.
    It's always good for a boatload of laughs, though!

16. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Media:
    Albums:
    The Yak is tied with steelhead on the S Rivers for me for most skunkings. I think I have that river dialed, but some days it is just stingy.

17. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    I've been skunked my fair share, but one skunking stands out for me......

The setting: a spot on the Clark Fork that I won't name but it requires quite a long hike/walk before you get to the spot (i was wading it). It was December. Cold, occasional snow flurries and windy. I had just fished it the previous weekend, though, and had a phenomenal day throwing streamers and a few nymphs - I think I landed 5 fish over 15" and I lost one fish that was a beast - so I was totally fired up to get after it with my beloved Redington 9' 6 wt CPS.

I made the drive, parked the rig and hiked in....

This section of the Clark Fork has an island that you can wade out to, but it is a risky wade. a LOT of water. Long wade (I'm talking football field-ish or more), strong current, particularly slippery rocks covered with riversnot and almost up over the chest waders in sections but the payoff was worth it so off I went.

It was a dicey dicey wade but at last I got 95% of the way across. My mind wandered to the trouty-goodness I was about to enjoy in complete solitude. Suddenly I slipped hard and fell forward, right up to chest depth. As I did, my rod dip dipped and I snapped my CPS in two right about at the second ferrule. Unfortunately, I had just plopped the reel on but hadn't tied anything on, so when the rod snapped the snapped section immediately separated and began drifting downstream. Silver lining though - it looked like it was still within reach!

By some miracle no water had gotten in over my waders but my brain somehow convinced my body that i HAD to have that section. I lurched forward to grab it......and went in. Deep. Full body treatment and all the way under. DIDN'T manage to grab the rod section.

I dragged myself out onto the island, clutching what was left of my rod. I was through and through soaked - top to bottom. I then had to wade all the way back across the river and hike all the way back to the car in sub-freezing temps and light snow. Didn't manage one cast. Didn't have spare clothes in my rig that day.

The ultimate? When I gave my sob story to Redington and returned the CPS, they (as usual) provided great customer service but said that given fact that CPS was discontinued, they would be sending me a CPX instead :(

Skunks don't get a lot worse.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  18. t_law

t_law Active Member

Last month, 7 hour guided float on the Yak= no fish.......Long drive home thinking WTF?

19. Slate Run

Slate Run Adrift

Epic!

20. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

My first & only trip RF,but Didn't hurt nearly as much as a trip I took to the Yak two years ago. My pal and I were fishin the same piece of water from opposite banks with the exact same flys. He pulled in four nice fish in ten minutes. I got squat.