What's your worst skunking ever?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Slate Run, Apr 17, 2013.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Who did you go with?

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    4 hours? Really? That must have been so frustrating. :rolleyes:

Slate Run likes this.
  3. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

YEP!!!

Patrick Gould likes this.
  4. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

sounds even tougher than nymphing for steelhead :(

5. nailbender

nailbender Active Member

Media:
  6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Worst skunking. Just about every time I go out.

7. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

May 30, 1970. Beautiful day in Charleston, SC. I graduated from The Citadel, got commissioned and married in the cadet chapel. My new mother in law was concerned that my bride would be nervous (we didn't let her in on the practice runs) and gave my wife something to settle her nerves. Right after dinner, it knocked her out cold. And that, my friends, is a skunking.

8. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

I just got back from visiting family in Ontario, Canada. I fished a river (Nine Mile River) that flows into Lake Huron - the rivers are closed until the end of the month, but not the river mouths - about 40 yards of legal fish-able river right at the beach. I pulled into the parking lot and there were about a dozen gear guys lined up along the parking lot bank at about 10 foot intervals drifting little mesh bags of fluorescent orange salmon roe under floats. Not my style of fishing, but I was there. The other side was pretty clear (because getting there actually required a hike) so I hiked up and crossed over. Mind you I could easily cast the entire width of the river - maybe 40 feet wide.

In about two hours I saw eight steelhead pulled out, in the range from 16" to 30+". Likely half that number lost. Most bonked. Me? I swung typical streamers, I nymphed, I used egg patterns, I swung eggs patterns, I dead drifted egg patterns. I changed up depth, used sink tips and floating lines, indicators, no indicators, weights, no weights. I knew the exact size, color and depth of what they were using, I even knew the bait shop where they likely bought it. Nothing, not even a bump.

Spent the night thinking about it - thought I'd retool with some closer match egg patterns and try again the next day. Maybe there's some weird current or structure on the parking lot side where everyone is hooking up?

So next day I pull up in the parking lot side and I'm determined to squeeze in. But now most of the guys are now on the other side of the river. Arrgh! WTF? Is there some memo I missed? Different day, same outcome. I saw likely 10 fish caught on the other side. Me? Nothing. Skunked.

9. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Good luck with that Jonathan.

10. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    Yeah I know its not in the cards Steve but one can dream about being born fifty years earlier with a fly rod in hand. Ha ha

11. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Active Member

No braine rhere. Fishing "Frustration Creek". I have fished there about a half a dozen times over the years and never caught a fish. Sorry, "Frustration Creek" is what I call Rocky Ford.

I have had some good solid skunkings on the Yak, but I have also had some good days on the Yak that balance it out.

Dr Bob :confused:

12. SaltyCutt

SaltyCutt Beach Bum

Media:
    Guess I'll go with this, and my first winter steelhead season. I know I'm a rookie swinging flys, so not discouraged.... although the math on how much I spent this year to get set up and travel to fish the OP without a grab was a little disheartening!

Next year Dammit! I'll fish twice as much and three times as hard!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

13. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I can recall many days going home with no fish to hand. I will tell the tale of multiple trips to the Nooche and getting nothing. I probably went 4-6 times in a two week duration and i was thinking about it a month later or so.... Man i went thru all the work to load up the boat drive out there and then get skunked all those days, WTF! Friends caught fish on my boat, i couldn't even catch a buzz i was fishing so hard, i even skipped lunch, stayed late and repeated that for the 4-6 trips. I did continue to hit the river later in the season and had stellar days... I dont forget the stretch of skunks, they just remind me to keep at it!

14. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    Too many to single out just one.... :p

15. deansie

deansie Member

Easy one...4th of July weekend about 5 years ago, hiked into a lake 6 miles outside of Vail, CO, came over the ridge and into the basin where the lake is and it was frozen solid still! 12 miles round trip and didn't even open the backpack...at least the beer tasted good afterward.

16. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I have done that before, not 6 miles. Its funny how you convince yourself the ice is gone and you think how the fish must be starving and my lure is gonna slayem', so we go, knowing good and well its a long shot. I still do it at least every other year on some lake somewhere in the Cascades.

17. insectgreen

insectgreen New Member

Home Page:
    fall of 2009 when I was living my last year in Alaska's kenai peninsula, I went down to swiftwater park and hooked a hot silver that danced, flew, cartwheeled and tugged. finally broke my hook. I was pretty bummed cause I really wanted to see that fish up close. Oh well, I thought! there's another 2 months into Nov. still. No worries. I fished sometimes 3 4 5 days a week and never hooked a silver after the first one. guess I should have hit the upper river. The silvers go clear up to Kenai lake

18. deansie

deansie Member

Yep...was living in Denver at the time and had been 90*+ for over a week and full on summer temps for 45+ days so you naturally think that ice is surely out by now...not so much.

19. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

About 8-9 years ago, on my first guided trip for steelhead, we were on the Methow walking and wading for 2 great fall days. There were 6 of us, and by late on day 2 everyone had at least one fish but me, unless you count a battle with a huge dolly or bull--he won. The last drift, I was standing in deep water going thru the drift intently. As the drift ended, my guide, who really had worked his ass off and tried everything, from behind me, said, "Bill, let's..." I turned to see what he wanted and had a huge tug--my only one in 2 days. That's it, just the tug, but what a pump up. The guide felt terrible, but it wasn't his fault. It was fate. I admit I felt deprived, but then, on many subsequent steelhead trips, I thought, "Man, what I'd give for that one tug on the Methow." There've been fish, and nice ones, but they are right when they say "the tug is the drug".

20. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

95 would be far enough for me. dont wanna be sweating in neoprenes and throwing squishy rods. gimme generation 2 gortex and sage graphite III, fishing wasnt bad either. big fish era in alot of places. one of the busy years, but not as crowded as now. thank population growth. in a dying industry, still, conditions are more crowded. i have a dog that wil never low hole you, and wont be adding to the crowd either.

what will it be like in 50 years ???.