When and how to get the right fly presentation for steelhead.

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by sandspanker, Aug 7, 2011.

1. sandspanker Member

Camas
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    So with many failed attempts at catching a steelhead on a fly. I am drawing a blank. So when do I know when my presentation is right??? And how would I get this done. How many of you guys have any tips for this for me?? Summer,winter either way would be very helpful..
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,695 / 2
    We could try to explain it to you, but until you've seen it, it's probably not going to sink in. There is no one right answer to cover every situation, it's going to change with the particular piece of water you are trying to cover.

Your best bet is to fish with someone who has been at it for a while, or hire a guide for a day. You'll learn far more than you ever could by trying to read advice online.
  3. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +398 / 0
    rule number 1
    Fish where the fish are!!!! I see you are from Camas if you are fishing the Washougal you are wasting your time except for late winter and spring.. I seriously doubt that your lack of siccess has anything to do with technique..

rule number 2 ( really more of a guideline) bring the fly across as slow as you can

if you do just those two things you are in the game as much as anyone can describe via the internet...
  4. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,784 / 0
    Fish with people that catch fish and watch everything they do. Ask questions while on the water of those you are fishing with about everything they do.
  5. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    What Kerry said. Practice and time are the only tools available to develop the "feel." Watching others will helpwith you see what it should look like.
  6. Wadecalvin Member

Redmond Oregon
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    So true- I can tell you what not to do- dont fiddle-fart with your line by over mending and monkeying around when your swinging the fly- hold still. Be persistent. -Even when there are fish around you might find yourself doing lots of casting and not catching fish but if you dont quit you will eventually hook up.
  7. stewart dee Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    When you catch a fish you will know whats going on from that point forward. Different speed of the bead (I mean the fly) presentation and the correct depth is always my problem. This is the good times man! you are interested, not jaded with the fish or the river. Enjoy it all.
  8. Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

do'n it 4 the chinookie
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Figure out why/when to mend, then ONLY mend when needed to do what you want to controll the fly at the speed you want for the conditions you are fishing-
    Don't be an "Automender" ....
  9. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +320 / 1
    Volumes have been written attempting to answer those very questions! First you must get a feel for where fish are likely to lay, so if you know someone who catches steel head on the fly,go fishing with them and ask questions until you can read the water. Try to learn something every time you go, and enjoy the puzzel!
  10. ozcast Member

Vancouver, Washington
    Ratings: +23 / 2
    As a VERY GENERAL RULE..look for swinging water to be waist to head deep, Boulders sized between a microwave and a range oven, and is flowing about walking speed. That should at very least put you on some good swing water. But, like I say...Very General. The hotter the water temps get, the faster water the steelies will hold in. Once the fall Chinook come in, in good numbers, look for fish in shallower riffles. A full floater or type 3 sink tip should do you fine. Floater in the AM, type 3 once it gets bright. Also, spend time on rivers with a good amount of fish in them. The lower Deschutes, Klick, and Kalama all have more than fishable numbers right now.