NFR When I discovered I was officially an old fart.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trapper Badovinac, Nov 13, 2013.

1. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

My REI number is under 1,000,000.

2. psycho

psycho Active Member

HOW ABOUT REI # 41%^&

3. Idaho steel

Idaho steel Active Member

Plus, at some point you wake up and realize that if you're going to hang around with/listen to kids, you'd just as soon they were your own...

4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

5. Ive has me beat by a few thousand, but I'm still under 75,000. I think I joined sometime in the late '60s. I don't know how many times I've been at the register at REI and recited my member number only to have the sales person wait for me to continue, and then ask "Is that it?"

D

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

I originally joined REI in the Spring of 1965, but I didn't make any purchases after late Fall '66, nor for a major part of the time I lived on Oahu from Jan '67 until June '78 when I took a trip to Seattle. My original membership and number were no longer valid. I had to re-join, and I got a new #.
    Now that I think about it, getting a new higher REI number is sort of like getting a new lease on life! :) Kind of... sort of...well...ehhhh...maybe not.:(

7. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

My mother in law alternates with "out of this world" and "to die for." I take her very literally. Fudge and type II diabetes and all...

8. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

I'm not sure. There was a lot of beer and laughing, so some parts are a bit hazy. Trapper

9. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I had 2 reckonings . . . the first when I was asked for id numbers at work; I jokingly ended with "and my social security number is '3'." The second when I realized that I was referring to almost everyone as "young" lady/man/fella and accepted the fact that I could & it seemed perfectly natural to do so.

Old Man likes this.
  10. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

I think it happened for me when I got my drivers license renewed the last time. There was a young man in there with his Mom and the Mom looked like she was about 25, but it was her son who looked 12 was the one getting his drivers license.
    When the lady taking the picture for the license asked the "young man" to remove his backwards baseball cap, he said "but nobody will recognize me I never take it off" The lady replied "take it off or no license".
    Then there are the expert commentators on TV who look like they are still high school.
    jesse

11. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

These are all great posts and I'm getting a real kick out of them.
    I can recall another recent moment.
    While receiving my new Droid at the Verizon store, a rather snooty young sales person made some comment that prompted my reply; "Careful, Sonny. I can remember when my phone number was 2 longs, a short, and a long." :D

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

That was back with the party lines and no dialing. You had a phone but you told the operator who you wanted to talk to.

13. GAT

GAT Active Member

Party lines were great entertainment. As kids, we'd carefully pick up the headset so those on line wouldn't hear a "click" when we started listening to their conversations.

Ah, the gossip.

We didn't have Facebook but we did have party lines...

shotgunner likes this.
  14. GAT

GAT Active Member

A lot of beer explains it all...

15. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

I actually burst out laughing when I read that.

16. psycho

psycho Active Member

When the pretty young women started opening doors for me:eek: and it is not so they can meet me and jump my body.:D

17. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I realized I was starting to get old when...

I was out at the store, saw this really cute younger gal, and thought to myself, "Man... I wonder what her mom looks like?" :(

18. GAT

GAT Active Member

Well... all you old farts have something to look forward to. My Dad lived in an assisted living apartment complex after my Mom died. He would complain the place was full of "old ladies" and there was only a handful of men. The ratio was 20 old women to one old man.

Within a year, he had a girlfriend. Evidently, some of the old women still had a burning ember in the fireplace so the few men in the place were considered fair game. So, if you manage to somehow outlive your wife and end up in one of the apartment complexes, prepare to be under attack ... :)

19. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Ha! Never happen, Gene. I take great pains to avoid those of the fairer gender who are seeking a companion. I have 2 ex-wives & absolutely no desire to collect the entire set. I'm content with a good dog, the outdoors, and the toys that go with it. Shortly after my divorce, a coworker stopped by my office every week attempting to "set me up" with her friend; I consistently demurred. Finally, she came in and told me that I needed a female influence in my life. I replied, "Thank you, Kathy, but I have that." Somewhat confused, she asked . . . "I thought you said that you weren't interested in women?" "I'm not. My female association is with a Black Lab named Maggie. And on the most frigid day in December, Mags will break thru ice on a frozen pond, retrieve a dead duck to-hand, and love me all the more for the experience. Now . . . IF your friend is wealthy, reasonably attractive, and thrives on duck-hunting . . . we may talk." She never bothered me again. Younger ladies still stop by my office, but now it's because I'm funny, understanding, and they know that they're "safe."

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  20. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Her Ladyship and I were in Mazama store one morning having a cup of coffee after hitting the ski trails. The high that day was 9 degrees. there was a group of older guys at the next table doing the same thing. They were strapping on the knee braces and putting on their coats when this young kid walks in literally vibrating from the cold, and one of the older guys asks "what's wrong with you, sonny?". The kid tells them it's too cold to even think about skiing, which was really the wrong thing to say to these guys, getting ready to go out again. Man, did they light into him! Of course, junior was in head-to-toe lycra, all decked out in the latest high performance skiwear. One of the old guys says "hell, sonny, I'm 79, and I've been out all morning, and getting ready to go out again. What sort of pussy are you?". We all applauded!