When I hit the Lotto

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by SpeySpaz, Aug 21, 2009.

1. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    ...I'm putting every rod, reel, line, flies, waders, goretex and fleece I own into a big trunk and ship it North for a season. Then I'm hitting Iceland, Ireland, England, Scotland, Scandinavia (with a long smoke break in Copenhagen), Russia...and I won't stop till I'm financially and physically too broke to go on.
    anybody else dream these dreams?

If you could take a DH rod anywhere, where would you go and when?
  2. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Clearwater, tomorrow.
  3. Randall Dee Castaway

Cascadia
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Would love to fish and tour Kamchatka, South America, some of the great Steelhead rivers of BC. The UK is a double bonus because of the historic whiskey distilleries and breweries. Spey fishing and a scotch tour. :beer1:
  4. wolverine Member

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Sell everything that you own and go NOW. Next thing that you know you have a wife, kids, morgage, kids college expenses, etc. Suddenly you're 55 years old thinking coulda, shoulda, woulda.
  5. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    actually, I'm pushing against 50 now and that's sort of what I'm doing!!:hmmm: you freaked me out a little there, wolverine--

hell, I've never even been to the Clearwater.
    By the time I was about 40 I'd lived all my childhood dreams (seriously), but now I have a little midlife deal going with a whole NEW and expensive set of dreams...

I have given my wife strict instructions that if I show up at the house with a red miata convertible, she is to cut my throat in my sleep and put me out of our misery:p

driving up to PA and see the grandkids today, might sneak out for a couple hours to the Elwah or something
  6. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +240 / 0
    It will be the young blond in the passenger seat of the Miata that will get your throat cut....

I would immediately set up a yearly migration pattern: northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere. I would alternate years between Chile and Argentina from January to March and alternate years between Iceland/Scandanavia and Kamchatka/Alaska June to September. On the shoulders, I'll head to the tropics to harass bonefish, tarpon, sailfish, and dorado. Damn, that sounds good......

Steve
  7. Randall Dee Castaway

Cascadia
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    You're about 20 years late with that advice.
  8. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    iagree

I have spent up to 10 days at a time with numerous weekend kamakazi runs to the Clearwater when I lived in Montana. My ideal trip woould be to go over the 1st week of Sept. and stay till thanksgiving. like some people I know.
  9. devon flyfisher Member

devon,england
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I think you missed New Zealand off the list, its on mine and i too am fast approaching the 50 year milestone.
    Except living where i do i have done England,Scotland,Wales and Ireland, well hardly but i have fished on some of the rivers we have on offer.
    I have ticked off Montana and Colorado, so where next British Columbia, or maybe warmer climes and bone fish, hell i must actually go and buy a lotto ticket this week.
    Cheers
    Richard
  10. Mark Walker Active Member

So. Cal.
    Ratings: +225 / 1
    I will admit I have been buying at least $4 worth of California Lottery tickets twice week since the the beginning. That's a minimum of $32 a month for the last, what, 24 years. Hmmm...32x12x24=$9,216.:eek:
    If I could just win even a small one, I'll be caught up!:D And I AM going to win:beer2:
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,471 / 9
    I used to work with a woman that spent $50 a payday (every two weeks) for her entire career. She worked a long ass time, not sure how long the Florida Lottery has been around, but she spent that from the first week it was there. She also had the daily or more occasional scratch tickets and crap. She would win a bit here and there, but $100 a month, $1200 a year, $12,000 over the decade I knew her...plus the other daily stuff. No wonder her unemployed son lived with her, her place was run down, she drove a shitty geo metro that was falling apart and could never afford to do anything but work and sit at home.

If what I just described sounds a lot like you, put your money into fly rods or something else useful at least when you are broke you can go fish for food.
  12. ReelFlyBro Team Short Bus

Montucky
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    just out of curiousity, why does it have to be a DH rod? is fishing a 2 handed rod cooler or something?
  13. sean_k Active Member

Spanaway Wa.
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    I must say I have the same dreams of traveling the world to fish. But to this point in my life I still have yet to ever play the lotto. I dont think I'm ever going to hit the jackpot without playing, I also just cant justify taking money from my monthly rod/reel/GAS fund to play. So for now I will continue to purchase rods and other items I dont really need being I have most every weight rod made and a few doubles. But I'm still happy with what I have so it al works out in the end.
  14. thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Bend, Oregon
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hey Short Bus.......this is a Spey related forum here, thus the double handed rod comment.

And yeah, its way cooler:):thumb::beer2::p

Mark
  15. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
    The lotto won't help me. I have been lucky enough to have fished for steelhead from northern California to Alaska. Maybe a trip to Kamchatca if I were to win. What I would really like is to be able to go back in time about a hundred years and fish the Skagit with the gear I use today including the sled.
  16. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,471 / 9
    Kerry, as much as I like Spaz's idea, yours with time travel that allows our higher tech stuff in the earlier more robust returning runs would be a trip of a thousand lifetimes. Kamchatca would be a pretty dang close second though.
  17. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Kerry, nice way to throw time travel into the mix! That would be incredible wouldn't it??
  18. 808steelheader Member

Springfield, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    IF.............I would be on the Bulkley River, BC from late August to November every year til I die!

Grace and Peace,
    Todd
  19. mike kinney Member

oso wash.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Count me in Kerry when you get this thing put together!
  20. Skilly Member

Winlock, WA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Well should I make the big payday from the Lotto there is a little 20x20 ranch in Wyoming that should have enough private fishing to last me a day or six. Oh that 20x20 is square miles.

Skilly