When is a fly too beat up to fish?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by JLantz, May 12, 2009.

1. JLantz New Member

White Center, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm new and my flies have been hitting the rocks more than a hooker on 99.

Is the fly pictured toast? It moves lopsided and has only one eye. Do the fish look at this thing and laugh?

Am I wasting my time using it?

[IMG]
  2. John Hilt YeeeeHaaw

Colorado
    WTF is that? :rofl:

That fly looks like a hooker on 99!
  3. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    if it has the profile of a baitfish and still has a little flash, I'd fish it.
    When i saw the title of your post my first thought was... "when the hook breaks off"... I've had some great success on flies that were mangled and far from their pristine state.
  4. Tyler Watters Stickin' pigs.

Gig Harbor, Washington
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,228 / 9
    I've got lots of ugly beach bashed flies. If D3 fishes his, I'm gonna keep fishing mine. I'm no fishing champ, but I occasionally find a dumb one that likes my hammered flies. Best of luck.
  6. John Hilt YeeeeHaaw

Colorado
    I agree that ugly flies do catch fish. In fact I've got more fish on flies that looked like a 2 year old tied them, then fresh off the vise "pretty" lookin' flies.

But that fly, is one ugly fly. :thumb: Keep throwing it out there until they stop chopping on it!
  7. Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    Keep casting that fly until the fish stop eating it. Sometimes the beater flies have the best mojo....
  8. bouface Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +3 / 0
  9. JLantz New Member

White Center, WA
    Thanks for the advice, guys.

Justin
  10. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +533 / 0
    Ugly works! I seem to see a lot of ugly guys with good looking women... so there is no question an ugly fly can catch a nice fish! :D
  11. Hooker Banned or Parked

WA
    iagree
  12. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +480 / 0
    Since I have the market cornered when it comes to ugly, I LIKE it! Keep fishing that rascal 'til the fish suggest you quit.
  13. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +68 / 0
    when its so used up its called a hook! :thumb:
  14. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +55 / 0
    I've got an epoxy fly that I have been working the piss out of for several years in the salt. Beach hits, fish tearing it up, etc. Has a bit of rust around the eye and hook shank. Still has the bait fish shape. Other than that, I don't plan on retiring it until it pops off the leader.
  15. hendersonbaylocal Member

Seattle WA
    I'd fish it... I like those shock and awes when they get a bit sparser! I have a couple of those things I've been fishing for a couple years. That's the benefit of a tube fly!
  16. Remfish New Member

Puyallup, Wa
    Yes, yes, and yes to all that have replied!! My 2 older boys that are 7 and 9 have tied flies that look like what you are fishing with. All 3 boys with my youngest being 4 have been learning to tie flies at 3 years old. With a short learning curve and attention span I've learned to use what my kids tie, for if it has a shape and a hook and I place in that path of the fish you will catch what you are going after! Keep using what you have!
  17. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +231 / 0
    when you breaks the hook off....

THEN If it's caught fish before carefully cut the thread and retie it to another hook

I have a flatwing pattern I have retied four times with one eye that keeps catching fish
    about 23 by now

I think the one eyed little bastard pisses them off

sea runs subscribe to "if it moves and it's smaller than me then Dinner is served"
  18. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +480 / 0
    As my Sainted Father told me years ago (1956, I was 8-years-old & starting my addiction to tying flies . . . ) . . . I sat at Dad's bench frustrated with ugly flies, ugly heads on ugly flies, and ugly fly-tying in-general, Dad walked up, accurately assessed the situation, and said: "Jimmy, there are two kinds of flies. Those that catch fish . . . and those that catch fishermen. If you can tie the first kind, you'll do all right. Stay with it and you will master the second kind." He was absolutely correct. Smartest man I have ever known, tho it took me a few years (while I was near the top of the list of the dumbest men I've ever known) to realize it. Bottom Line: if it fools fish, cast it.
  19. RoyS Member

Shady Cove, OR
    Ratings: +8 / 0
  20. Hooker Banned or Parked

WA
    i'd love to see that one Kelvin. i'll save lead eyes off clousers and other patterns but i havent gone as far as to save the entire fly and re-tie it to a different shank.