When to step downstream

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Paul Huffman, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    It may seem like a silly minor point, but I can't decide on the best way to work downstream quickly and efficiently while speying. With my single hand, I have settled into a pattern where I cast, swing, let it hang, strip it in, then take 5 to 12 steps downstream, and cast again. But one of the advantages of a spey rod is supposed to be that I don't have to strip in as much between casts. If I take steps downstream during the hang with all the line out, it will hang on the bottom , particularly with a sink tip or with slack water near shore. What I have been doing is taking a few steps downstream right after the line hits the water, but I don't get many steps in and one of these days I'll miss a strike as I stumble along. It seems like a good time to be concentrating on the drift rather than stepping downstream.

2. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Well I cast, then mend if I need to and then take a step or steps downriver. My idea is the fly drifts a little farther before the swing. Here is some info on stepping downstream. http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=29203
    A major problem that I see people do is wade out to the wrong spot in the river. I see people either in 2 inches of water when they should be deep or people swimming when they should be close to the bank. If you are dragging bottom at the bottom of your swing, it is normal sometimes. But not everytime. If that keeps happening, move out a couple more feet to keep that fly moving to the bottom of the swing.
    Hope this helps
    Chris

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Paul,

Casting single handed or double, I've always cast, mend, and take however many steps I'm using as I fish that particular run. If I intended to 5 step that run, but only get 3 because the speed of the current is that much faster than the speed of my steps, then it's a 3 step run until the water current slows a bit. I've never felt that I was handicapped in regards to reacting to a strike, stepping or stumbling along, and I'm not the ultimate in manual dexterity, nor a complete klutz.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

4. circlespey

circlespey Member

Media:
    If I am using a type 3 or floating line, I like to step in between casts. Usually nothing will hang if I am fishing a light tip. If I am using a type 6 or heavier it means I am trying to get the fly to sink so I like to step down just after the cast and mend to give it a few more tenths of seconds to sink.

5 to 12 steps sounds like a ton of steps between casts; I have always been taught to take "steelhead sized" steps which for me means 2-3 shoulder lengths. In a really sweet run where I know there are a ton of fish I will sometimes cut that to even one step just to be sure I am covering the water. In a faster run where I want even more time to get the tip below the current I might take extra steps because often those runs aren't the most productive given the current.

5. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    With the two-hand, and I am fairly new to two hand fishing as well, but I seem to favor taking my steps just after that 1st mend if needed or just after the line gets on the water.

6. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

I'm new to the spey thing, but I've found that taking steps while stripping works fine for me, which is usually how I do it with the single hander anyway. As crummy a spey caster as I am, I'm not shooting that much line even on a good cast, so it works pretty well to do a big strip with each step I take. Even if I get good at this, I think I will still do my stripping while I'm stepping downstream for the next cast.