When to switch to sing tips?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by loganmike, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Hey Gang,
    Just to preface:
    No I do not throw long belly lines...yet
    I have finally learned (not mastered) the aerial loading casts thanks to the help of members here...
    I do not wish to start a floating line sink tip argument...

So, the question... At what water temp or time of year do I remove the scandi head, put on the skagit and sink tip. I usually throw 9-11 feet of T11 but have heard that I will get caught a lot with that on the CW and GR. So I might throw the super fast poly!

The water temp is high 30's to very low 40's. Is it time?

thanks
    me

2. Once the water temp drops below 48* I switch to sink tips unless I have a good reason to believe that steelhead will still rise to the surface. I hear that there are times and places where they will, but I don't fish there. You might have too much sink material for your rivers if the fish are holding in slow moving runs. You might want to buy an intermediate and a type III 15' tips to go with your Skagit head.

Sg

3. I switch to em about the time I think seriously of steelheading. When I get bored of steelheading I switch to the dry line (unless I am in Cali), and I catch them the way I want to catch them, vs the way they prefer to be caught...

4. +1

I will throw tips mid day all summer though, then back to scandi once shade hits again.

5. I switch to sinking tips depending on water depth & current speed, no need to make it more difficult than that, as to what tip to use ,It depends on water depth & current speed ,plus 30 years or so of experiance to make the choice.

6. The temp doesn't really matter. During the summer time it is not uncommon to go thru a run first with a floater, then switch to say a type 3 and fish a little deeper in the column. If the run has deep enough water and you suspect a fish is laying in there dredge it with a type 6. For winter fish go deep right off.

7. IMO, the super fast poly (Airflo) is worst sinktip ever made... east cast BUT the fly will ride up/ high because of the taper design...I only use intermediate or float polyleader. My suggestion to your situation is to cut the T11 to 6' or using some short T14 MOW tips... level sinktip is much easy to control than tapered sinktip IMO...

8. Type 3.

9. Water volume has just as much to do with it as water temp. Right now is a classic example, water temps are getting below 40* but the CFS is still in a summer time mode. So, I'm still fishing a Scandi with either a full floater or I like the 2.6 sink rate polyleader. When the rivers rise and get to winter flows then I make the switch to Skagit and tips.

10. I second that motion.. I like to ask the fish what head I should be fishing.. that way I dont have to guess..lol thanks Kerry.

11. Strongly agree Randall Dee; low flows and skinnier water will keep me fishing floating line as well: more effective, elegant and fewer snags.

The last two 1/2 day trips on a coastal stream, I've taken a coho, chinook and winter steelhead on the swing/strip, with floating line. Water temps were 43-45 degrees.

12. As others have said, mid 40s and lower is the time to change, unless you really want the floating line experience. BTW, you do not have to give up the scandi line to go down. Guideline PTs do a great job of that, especially the DDC. The intermediate belly sinks and slows the swing. The place where these do not work so well, it big boulder areas with the boulders near the surface.

An Alaska friend on Speypages does it with a floating line, 3-5 ' of 25# Maxima to varying lengths of T14 (up to 3') and a tippet.
    http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=50647&highlight=Hardyreels