When to try new boat?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by bfunk13, Jun 20, 2009.

1. bfunk13 New Member

Wyoming
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hi all,
    I just ran across this site and would appreciate your expert advice.
    I recently bought a 16LP Clackacraft.
    I have floated rivers in canoes and flat bottom john boats, but never used a drift boat.
    I mainly float the North Platte river in Wyoming. The majority of water is pretty basic, running into only a few fast areas. No real white water where i float. I took it out to a small lake nearby and got used to how it rows. My question is when to try out the Platte? It is still running pretty high, i know the outfitters are already floating. I am itching to try it out on the river, but dont want to do something stupid, going out too soon.
    I know they handle much different than what i am used to.
    Thanks for any advice
  2. Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

lynnwood, wa
    if you have any rivers, or parts of rivers were the water is really slow, but theres still a current, try it out their. do some sharp turns and spins and what not. do it for an hour or two so you really get used to it. then row it back up to the boatch launch were you started from and go home. try it a couple of times. then when you think your ready, take it on a float.

arthur
  3. UofMontanaAlum New Member

Des Moines, Iowa
    I was a complete newb to rowing last year. We bought a new boat and neither myself or my dad had much experience behind the oars. The thing that helped me the most was having a guide on the first day of our week long fishing trip. Sure, he put us on fish and did the typical guide thing. But the best part was being able to watch him work the boat, ask him questions about rowing, what areas to watch out for (hydraulics and rocks), etc.. After the day of guided fishing, I felt comfortable enough to row our new boat for the rest of the week with the Missouri pushing 20k cfs.

I've seen a few posts on this forum about shops that offer drift boat rowing classes. You might also check into that.
  4. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    I assume your talking about the Saratoga stretch of the N. Platte? If you don't know anyone who rows that stretch regularly who could take you out and show you the ropes, consider running up to the Grey Reef stretch for a couple of days. That's about as basic river to row as you'll find (barring any serious W*ND :) ).

I learned to row on the N. Platte fishing with a guy who had a boat and a perpetual open seat. It's a good beginner/learner river as long as you pick good weather/ideal flow days until you build up your skills and confidence.

Oh, and don't bother fishing any streamers on the N. Platte:eek:

:beer2:
  5. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Clackacraft used to have a pretty good CD out that was free. Arthur had some great ideas. Start easy, and if it looks like too much, it probably is. Congrats on the new boat.
  6. bfunk13 New Member

Wyoming
    Good advice from all. Thanks!
    I have the dvd from Clackacraft, and is very good.
    Yes i am around the Saratoga area of the Platte.
    Grey reef is a great idea, just enough flow to get the idea of navigating.
    I think i will try the lake and grey reef a few times before trying the river.
    A friend of mine owns an outfitter, they are already floating, he is real busy this time of year, possibly i could get a lesson or follow them down the river.

Thanks alot for all the replies!

Brad
  7. Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
  8. Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Sammamish, WA
    I would just recrute a friend with some experiance. It isnt that hard but a few tips are nice. A lot of first time rowers tend to panic a little when things get a littme tricky. Just remember to point the bow where you DONT want to go and row backwards. You will be a pro in no time. Stay on your game and pay attention because things can happen fast even in slow a river.
  9. Guy Gregory Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Go today.:rofl:
  10. bfunk13 New Member

Wyoming
    Thanks guys