WHEN WINTER STEELHEAD??

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by J Nordwell, Oct 13, 2008.

1. J Nordwell New Member

Camas, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    When is the winter steelhead really good on the Kalama? Washougal? Looking to put some time in this year. Thanks
  2. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +223 / 2

But seriously, It is doubtful the Shoog has a "really good" run of winter steelhead anymore. The Kalama is probably your better bet. December to January for hatchery fish and for wild C&R fishing after that. Better yet, go put some time in and then don't tell anyone about it when you find out.
  3. SilverFly Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    BDD got it right, that was about the year I quit fishing it in earnest. Back "in the good ol' days", Thanksgiving was the time to start fishing. Although I've caught a few chromers a week or two earlier when fishing for summers.
  4. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
  5. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    Winter steelhead fishing is usually best in the winter, in rivers that hold a run of steelhead, that are not completely frozen over.
    Hope that helps. In light of the general bitchy-ness, on the board of late, that is all I can tell you for now.

LB
  6. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    The Cow is pretty good in the winter, low flows and Giant fish to be had, but you need a boat of course..
  7. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,723 / 0
    Thses guys don't have any clue what winter is all about.. They think that clod rain is winter. Try Montana starting this month and lasting until May with minus 15 degree weather.

Jim
  9. dpiscator www.jjsjigs.com

Towanda, PA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Peter Pancho,

Just looked at the trailer for Fireproof. I was hoping it would be a little bit more gritty on Firefighter's like Backdraft or Rescue Me. It looks like a Lifetime Channel movie made for TV. It needs a couple of "F-bombs" to make the firemen sound realistic.
  10. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +604 / 0
    Thanksgiving still marks the traditional winter steelhead push on the Kalama, at least in regards to numbers of anglers :) Last year the winter fishery was more crowded than the summer fishery.
  11. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    I went to Seattle once in February when I was like 13, decided to fish the green for steelhead (hahaha Puget sound steelhead...;) ), wet waded... I was amazed when a group of fishermen floated down wearing neoprenes and parkas, it was so freaking warm, had to have been at least 50° also it freaked me out when I found out the lakes don't freeze and you can fish all year...

Lastly Seattle is where I go when I want dry hot weather in the winter nowadays... Anyone ever been to Juneau?:beer1:

:ray1:

In all seriousness I was saying the best time to fish for winter steelhead is WINTER :rofl: Dec 21 to March 18 (18???) After that and they are spring steelhead, before that they are fall steelhead, unless they are summer steelhead...
  12. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    I lived in Montana for 2 winters and winter was the #1 reason I left.

As far as wet wading around here in the winter, I have seen kids doing it that were absolutely stoked to be fishig, I just love kids with the bug like that. They would dive to the bottom of an icy river if it meant hooking up.

I remember seeing one kid wet wading practically up to his neck casting a spoon at what he said was a steelhead when it was obviously a red raider silver in January. I couldn't tell him the truth, he will be a good steelheader in time and as they say, the process is the rewarding part.

I fondly remember my days like that where my parents would drop me off and I would be picked up soaked to the bone and covered in mud with all my lures snagged and lost. As adults we call that hell but as a kid it is a blast and you don't get cold like you do now.
  13. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    hahaha awesome, I miss being a kid sometimes...
  14. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,723 / 0
    Your still a kid. I don't remember being young anymore. It's rough when you lose your memory.

Jim
  15. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Thanks Old Man, I forget sometimes...