Where Are the Rezzies?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by WagonDriver, Jan 30, 2010.

1. WagonDriver New Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I took my 16' jon boat out again today. I have been able to get out 7 times so far this month. I have caught at least 1 Cutty on each outing and as many as 6 on my best day. However I am not seeing any Coho working in all of the spots where I was seeing them last year. Finally today I saw one jump one time and three casts later I hooked up and landed my first resident Coho of the year, a nice 15" fish. I have only been doing this for a couple of years and wonder if this is normal. It seems like this time last year if I saw some working on the surface I could chase them around and pick up a half dozen before they disappeared.
  2. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    I can tell you where they're NOT and that's in the deep south. I've burned the gas to prove it, cruising 10 miles or more per trip the last couple of weeks.
  3. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    saw my first rezzie on last thurs
    they are sparse but this guy was fat
  4. Lahar New Member

Glacial Till land
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    They are few and far between at Narrows Park. Saw one jumper last week and caught one small two weeks ago. Skunked again this morning as were two other FF but it is close and I never have more than two hours... I often see sea lions passing by to the south heading to their "secret spot". Maybe Fox Island?
  5. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +292 / 0
    not up North
  6. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +395 / 0
    Where are the rezzies?

Either not many hatchery coho were released last spring/summer, or not very many made Puget Sound their residence due to early release.
  7. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    There was a good release, it appears that they didn't hang around in numbers.
  8. Rich Schager You should have been here yesterday...

Harstine Island
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Don,

How do you know that there was a good release? I posted this (below) a couple of weeks ago, and of 200 views, no one had an answer...

2009 Rezzie release info ?
    I've been trying to find out information on the 2009 Squaxin Island net pen releases. Each June or so, the Squaxin tribe has been releasing 1.5 - 1.8 million juvenile coho salmon into Peale Passage. I have property directly across from the net pens, and I have always seen the young salmon dimpling the surface everywhere you look for a couple of weeks after they are released, until they finally scatter.

But not this year - didn't see any at all. I can find lots of info about prior years, and on the 2009 movement of the smolts to the net pens, but not their release. Anyone have the actual 2009 release numbers, date, etc. ?

Rich
  9. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
  10. Rich Schager You should have been here yesterday...

Harstine Island
    Ratings: +17 / 0
  11. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Above is just a snap shot of the 1.5 million coho that will be released in June 2009. On average only 3 % of these released coho will return as adults in Fall of 2010. That is approximately 45,000 adult coho available for harvest by Sport and Commercial fisheries in South Puget Sound.

from the site

you are correct Rich
    it doesn't say they actually released them
    it says" to be released"

maybe they kept them all
    or dryfly Larry got them
    and is taking pictures of them all lined up on the beach
    before releasing them

beats me all I know is I aint catching them up here in th north sound
  12. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +707 / 0
    For ever the resident salmon (blackmouth, resident coho) have been nomadic following food sources. Because the abundance and distribution of the coho's forage ( baitfish. euphausids, etc) has always been highly variable where they spend their time foraging is also highly variable. Yes delaying the release timing increases the likely hood the at the fish will become residentals however if there is little forage they tend to seek out" greener pastures". I think by now it is pretty clear they did not stay in the South Sound; in the past when that has been the cases it seems there are more small coho in the straits. When the summer salmon fisheries start in July I would not be surprised that anglers fishing the straits and maybe MA 9 find some of your missing coho.

While it is a bummer that the south sound fisher's are not find the winter bonaza of last year the silver lining in that cloud may be that as those fish move back inside the summer fishery in central sound may be better than recent years. But as always been the case once anadromous salmonid reach the salt it is if they enter some sort of black box where th surviving fish went and how many will return are unknowns. If we are fortunate as their "cycle" comes to its end we will have addtional insights on what happened. One think for sure we can expect next year to different from both this and last year.

Tight lines
    Curt
  13. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +218 / 0
    Question: is there correlation between an El Nino event (yes, I know it's oceanic) and temp/precip or other atmospheric issues that can be appended to El Nino that might influencce the change in pattern of Puget Sound fish?
  14. Tony Tony

Lynnwood Wa
    Ratings: +73 / 0
    I haven't seen much in the way of resident fish but I have noticed a large increase in the numbers of predators around southworth both seabirds and seals, the high numbers of loons I've seen this year combined with other predatory seabirds must be having some effect, I've also seen alot more sealions than usual working right up on the beach that even if they aren't feeding on them must be having some effect perhaps scaring them out and away.
    tony
  15. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    It is a bummer Curt.

The information in this thread is pretty spot on for release and where they've gone. Since this is such a nebulous program, with little way of tracking the results, there is a new effort under way. In future releases, the fish have been marked by removing a ventral fin. When a coho is caught, either off Squaxin Island, or up in Seattle, it will be possible to tell where it came from. I can get more detailed information as it comes available. I believe there is also a plan to implant some of the fish with electronic transponders like we've done with cutthroat in a couple of areas down here. It won't necessarily put fish where I want them, when I want them, but it is a start in understanding the movements.
  16. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +707 / 0
    Karl -
    While El Nino events are thought of as being oceanic such events can certainly have impacts on Puget Sound; sometimes in surprising ways. There was some research a number of years ago the linked the productivity of Puget Sound (especially central Sound) to the amount of freshwater discharge into the Sound. Simply on years with large snow melts the increased amount of freshwater from the rivers increased the flow out the straits. Since that outflow was largely freshwater it was mostly a surface outflow. That in turn caused a deep water retrun flow of nutrient rich marine waters along the floor of the straits and as it high areas like Possession Bar there would be upwellings of nutrient rich water that would drive increased production.

So yes El Nino can have an impact with at least one measure of the potential impacts would the snow pack in relation to "normal".

Tight lines
    Curt
  17. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +218 / 0
    Curt, thanks for the response. I'm afraid my marine biology background is southeast U.S. not locally. I was wondering about snow melt, increased freshwater runoff. I was also wondering about flushing, sediment loads, upwelling, and current alteration. Neat stuff, eh?

So where are the rezzies? Exactly...
  18. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +326 / 0
    Last week I talked to the person who manages the delayed resident coho program for WDFW. He said that 1.8 million fish were released from the Squaxin Island net pens last summer. There were two release dates. The first was near the end of May while the second was the first part of June. Normally the later that the fish are released the more likely that many of these fish will remain within Puget Sound. As Curt Kramer mentioned, where the delayed released coho end up being found each year is highly dependent on food availability in Puget Sound. The delayed release coho from last summer appear to have headed north maybe into the Strait of Juan De Fuca looking for available food sources.

The past summer and fall I fished from my boat in many parts of Marine Areas 11 and 13 and never saw any small resident coho(7-9") except in June. It was very unusual since most summers/falls these fish are usually seen jumping along numerous shoreline areas. There is one area every winter where schools of resident coho and Bonoparte gulls could always be found feeding on amphipods. Amphipods are small scud-like critter(3/16" reddish/brown) and are often an important winter food scoure for resident coho. This in the first winter in 20 years that no/very few amphipods were seen in the area.

The last two months I have looked in numerous areas for resident coho and have had a tough time finding any fish. However, there were 4 areas which have been holding a few resident coho. If I got luckly, I was able to land a few fish(13-15") each outing at these locations last month. Since there were so few resident coho at these locations rarely was a fish seen jumping/swirling. The resident coho were just there. We all got spoiled last winter by the large number of resident coho available!

This years delayed release coho(1.8 million) have been or are in the process of being moved to the Squaxin net pens. The plan is to do 3 releases of these fish. Most of the fish will be released in early June and mid-June with another release of 60,000 fish in early July. Also, WDFW plans to release 200,000 to 300,000 delayed release coho from the Minter Creek hatchery probably in early July. In past years, the fish have often been released before the planned dates due to feeding and water quality issues. It sound like the feeding issue has been resolved. However, the water temperature and water quality issue is depend on weather conditions from year to year.

The WDFW regional fisheries biologist will be conducting a monitor program of these delayed release coho from the Squaxin Island net pens and Minter Creek hatchery. Since I am retired, I will be helping out with some of the monitoring. It should be interesting and may help to understand the time of release of these fish and the likelihood of these fish remaining within Puget Sound.

Roger
  19. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +125 / 0
    Roger - I find your posts informative and knowledgeable. As well as slightly humbling. Thank you for your insightful posts. They help us all better understand our resources in the Salt.
  20. toddr Member

Peninsula, Wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Yes. Thanks to all. This is a very informative thread. Roger's posts are both informative and generous. I learn a great deal from the site and appreciate the time members take to share their knowledge and experiance.