Where best to take Senior Citizen newbie to try for SRC in South Sound?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Flyfishing Dad, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Flyfishing Dad

Flyfishing Dad displaced Alaskan

I'm fairly new at trying for sea run cuts myself. But I also have a senior citizen friend who just bought his first flyrod and line. He wants me to help him learn everything from casting to patterns, to retrieves. We've started a few lessons already.

Meanwhile, I really don't know where to take him in South Puget Sound to give him his best shot at some SRC. I've read in the forums here that some woolly bugger patterns, minnow imitations, and bead head nymphs will work. He lives in Stiellacom, and would like to fish close to home.

Read that some think the fishing is best on a falling tide, others on a rising one.

He'll be fishing from the shore as he hasn't bought waders yet.

Any suggestions on how, when and where to take him to give it his first try?

2. Jules Carvalho

Jules Carvalho New Member

I've caught SRC on rising and falling tides here in the North Sound but I have yet to catch them during the slack, fish the rips and seams. Wish I could help you with some spots but I haven't fished anywhere in the South Sound. Try a Miyawaki Popper and some Clousers, I've had good luck with them up here on Whidbey.

3. LongRod

LongRod Member

I suggest your friend investigate Puget Sound Flyfishers Club (www.psff.org) A number of our members fish for SRC's and we have seminars on this topic at various times of the year. This fall we will have 2 SRC outings for members. A great learning opportunity for a newbie. Our next meeting is Thursday, July 19. Dave Mc Coy will be discussing fly fishing for trout, SRC and steelhead in western Washington. Location and time can be viewed on our web site. President Ned

Flyfishing Dad likes this.
  4. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Not knowing your friend's limitations (if any), but a good possible is Narrows Park (Doc's) on the other side of the bridge. Sanican at the parking lot and ramp down to the beach. Couple of rips in close. Doesn't always fish well but have caught a rezzie. Scenery is great, too. Boats up and down through the narrows, bald eagles nearby, sea lions passing through.
    Wouldn't recommend it on a bright, sunny, warm day because of all the families with kids that like to go down there and recreate.

Flyfishing Dad and Kcahill like this.
  5. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Second this, Docs probably has the friendliest parking and ramp down to the beach.

6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I thought Doc's first thing too.

Beachmen likes this.
  7. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Doc's definitely, easy fishing and sometimes there are fish.

8. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    That's well-put, Karl; I like it! "Sometimes, there be fish!":D

Flyfishing Dad likes this.