Where can a guy do some quality fishin and camping around here?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by zach, Aug 7, 2008.

1. zach

zach New Member

Howdy all. My name is zach and i just moved here a few months ago. I love to fly fish. I love to camp. So i'm hoping you all, my brethren will lend me a hand. I'm set up for freshwater, little rivers and streams mostly; trouts my game, insofar. I just want to find a cool place to camp and fish. I'm based out of Olympia, and am willing to drive 2 or 3 hours if necessary. I'd like to figure out a nice secluded spot, or at least not right by a road or houses, if ya know what i mean. I fished the Satsop the other day, stayed at Schaffer State Park, wasn't too impressed with the park. I caught a few baby cuts, that was it though. Anyway, if anyone wants a fishin buddy, i'm your man. Thanks all.

2. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    The Olympics, my personal favorite, are around your neighborhood. Plenty of secluded, and non secluded camping and fishing oportunities there. You don't even need a license in the park. Look around, get a Washington State Atlas and Gazetteer and find some spots, chances are they'll have fish.

If size is your game, then the Olympics, with the exception of the Elwha, are not your place.
    -Ethan

3. PeteM

PeteM Member

Zach, hike the Elwah, you'll be pleased.

Pete

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Zach, you are surrounded by lots of good fishing areas. Satsop is a good river, just get away from the park there.

Look at a map, you have TONS of rivers to fish in that 2-3 hour radius.

Have property in Montesano, if I have an open seat I'll let you know.

BTW, you didn't happen to used to run a bulletin board at one time did you? Knew a Zach who was a flyfishing nut from AR.

5. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Hi Zach,

For right now. Try the N. Fork of the Skokomish River at Staircase (on the east side of Olympic National Park (Hood Canal). The Elwha, just west of Port Angeles (about 3 hours from Oly to the river at sane speeds) is very good too. There are also several options around the Cispus and its tributaries in the foothills between Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens. Look at Yellowjacket Creek and the N. Fork of the Cispus. There are National Forest Campgrounds and ad hoc camping spots along these rivers.

For the fall. On the edge of your 3 hour window from Olympia, you might consider the Yakima River; it intertwines with I-90 for a while and then jogs south at Ellensburg toward the city of Yakima through the Yakima Canyon. While the Yakima River is high right now for irrigation, it is a popular and highly regarded rainbow river. After Labor Day, the flows drop from the current 4000cfs to a more wader-friendly 1000cfs or less. It isn't exactly secluded (roads parallel most of it, but few housing developments), but the fall and spring fishing and the scenery of the canyon can make you feel that you're away from it all.

Steve