Where can I find some brown trout in good numbers?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fly15, Sep 22, 2001.

1. I was wondering where i could find some browns to chase it doesn't look like the washington department of fish and wildlife
    plants that many.I am going to be over at fish lake by wenatche in early october and i heard it has some nice browns in it.Any info on browns and where to catch them would be much apreciated.THANKS.

2. Fish Lake would be a good option, as would Merril Lake by Saint Helens. Its a fun lake and is the only one ive found with healthy brown populations. There are small populations in the eastside rivers, like the Sanpoil, Colville, Pend Orielle, and Kettle. But dont count on browns- they are more of a pleasant surprise in these rivers. Hope this helps-

3. It's been a while since I was out there but when I was a kid Lake Lawrence (out in the bald hills south of Yelm) used to have a lot of browns. They were the bigger fish in the lake too since they seemed to do better than the planted rainbows.

Might be worth a call to WDFW

4. We have a good population of brown trout in a local lake here in Spokane. Medical Lake is a multi specie lake but has good browns. It has not produced this fall, but should be excellent again next spring. Engines are not allowed and I believe there is a restricted limit also.

5. Pass and Cranberry lakes up by Decpetion Pass have browns, and some big ones. I have caught smaller browns at Silver Lake, Pierce County. During one trip to Spokane, I picked up some very nice fish in the Spokane River, by Stateline. Most fish caught will probably be rainbows, the browns are a bonus. Good luck.