Where can I find???

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by YAKIMA, Feb 2, 2007.

1. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Help!!

I have lost, misplaced, or flat out can't find my Flexcoat Thread Tension Device. I just had it, and now it's gone. Might anyone know where I can get one close by, or suggest another brand they like? Or even tell me what you all use so I can improvise? I have to get two rods done, and I can't afford to tear this place apart only to realize I can't find it.:beathead:

I really don't want to do the "put it in-between the pages of a book" scenario.

Any help is greatly appreciated
    Greg

2. Craig Hardt

Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Media:
    Home Page:
  3. YAKIMA

I may give that a shot with a spring, thank you. I did just order another tensioner like I had from Cabelas a few minutes ago, but will take at least until Thursday to get here. Was hoping to get it all done by then. I did try something like this without the spring, and it was really jerky the way the thread came out.

Thanks again,
    Greg

4. Ned Wright

Ned Wright New Member

Media:
    A fly tying bobbin is working good for me. I think most spools of winding thread are bigger, therefore the tension is higher. Just need to find a way to hold it down...fence staple?

Ned

5. YAKIMA

I'm picking out just the perfect book right now for the right tension on the thread... It will look kind of rinky dink while I'm wrapping the guides. I might just try out a tying bobbin like you suggested, I can poke it through a hole on the wrapping bench. I know what will happen, soon as I get the rods done, or the new one shows up, my "eat anything" cat will come strolling through the room with the one I lost in his mouth!!!! bawling:

I'm just pissed right now, especially because I know it is right under my nose...:mad:

Greg

6. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Easiest thing to do is go to any sewing machine shop and ask there for a thread tension device. They usually sell for $5 or under.

7. YAKIMA

Thanks for all your help, I did get it replaced and life is fine. One more rod and I'll be done for the spring.. Greg