Where can't a Drift Boat Go?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Bob Neal, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    A drift boat can't get rolled up and put into your cargo area of an SUV or bed of your truck. A drift boat is pretty tough to roof rack atop your rig. Guy's I've been lucky enough to float with are masters at making their drift boats go right where they want them to once on the water. They each have also taught me a lot about what not to do and where not to go.

2. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    A real man drives a truck or a 4wd (not an SUV). A real man hitches his drift boat trailer up and mans up. A real man doesn't care if it rolls up and fits in his "SUV", he has a "roll" that he lays out to sleep in the back while his drift boat trailer is hooked up. A real man doesn't need a roof rack since his driftboat is sitting on his trailer all rigged up. ;)

Had to give you shit Ed. ROFL

3. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Since I don't know you, Ed, I'll not join in Jerry's fun, but I will suggest to you a trailer hitch is a wonderful thing. I towed my drift boat behind my f150, my silverado, my plymouth voyager, and my honda crv. I also launched and retrieved it from those as well, and trailer hitches cost about what a set of them fancy roof racks go for..

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Guy, his cataraft actually has a nice trailer he puts it on. And Ed's a great guy, I only give shit to guys I know and truly like. :)

5. Ed Call

Media:
    Jerry, funny stuff right there. Funny, I recall some killer pics of your 16' cataraft on your bronco...and have seen your steelheader and steelheader II that you rolled up, disassembled and put inside your rig so you could tow your drift boat...how am I doing?

Guy, I'm easy. Never miss an opportunty to toss some $h!t my way. Everyone else does. My SUV has a trailer hitch, can tow 6000# and towing my 6x10 Utility trailer with my 14' cataraft inside is a breeze...which allows me to crash inside the rig if I am too lazy to pitch my tent. Lots of crafts with lots of options. Eventually I hope to have a nice woodie drift boat (like Ross), and the skill to row it properly so as not to destroy it (like many of the real oarsmen) and the knowledge/experience to know where to go and where not to go. I learn so much each time on the water, mostly because of the talented company I'm blessed to keep.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Actually and truthfully that was someone else. I don't roll my toons and usually put the assemled toons inmy drifter.

And it wasn't an SUV. It was a front and rear locked TRUE 4WD Blazer when they were K5s not when they were called SUVs. Sheesh.

7. Ed Call

Media:
    BS flag being raised. Your frames were off those solo boats and they were stuffed in the back of your truck bed camper with all the camp cookery stuff, weren't they? Rolled, folded, stuffed...
    True 4wd Blazer? My POS Pathfinder in 4wd was more than enough to haul one domestic rig off the river lauch rocks when stuck...
    I have an SUV becasue it is comfy...roomy...capable. I'm soft, I know.

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh you were talking the Hoh down. I had tubes hanging in garage. Was a last minute toss in boat so didn't put them together. Then people who were supposed to use them didn't. But frame for my 10' steelheader is a 1piece custom. Can't take it apart. I thought you meant a thread I did years ago. Had my 16' on my Blazer and my old original 9' steelheader taken apart and stuffed in storage compartment of trailer.

LOL Ed. Technically they call Blazers SUVs now. I always hated that label. Spent a lot of nights sleeping in back of my Blazers with my cat, drift boat, or sled hooked up. I'm getting soft too (them youngins call it getting old)

9. Bob Neal

Bob Neal Member

Thanks fellas...you guys are great.
    Sounds like pulling a drift boat with my pink VW Bug will make me look a bit more manly :)

10. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, if you're towing with a pink bug, make sure your drift boat is tie dyed. ;)

11. Kirk Singleton

Kirk Singleton Capt Kirk

Home Page:
    I have been thinking of selling my 08 clack fb. I think I want a raft for really big and really low water. The downfall is that I take my DB in the lakes with a elect motor or a 5hp gas motor. there is not a perfect boat but the db is darn close.

12. Matt Hutch

Matt Hutch Member

Actually a fiberglass drift boat typically weighs about half that, maybe 300 lbs. for a bigger boat like a 16' high-side.

13. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    So I was in the same boat as you till recently. I ws trying to decide between hard and soft boats. I eventually decided on the raft. Several reasons. There is not water a raft cant go that a drift can. The raft you can take the frame out and float a long trip with family on say the ronde or met. The down side of a raft is storage. Storage can be a tough thing in a raft, but if you equip it right i.e. storage boxes to sit on instead of seats the storage things goes away. the newer cataraft style rafts track just as good as the hard boats. Star, Sotar, maravia all are good options.

Interestingly I priced out my dream raft at 11k and that is without trailer. Sotar 15' with custom frame, cataraft oars.
    That would be one hell of a good drifter if you wanted that.

14. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, we've had that conversation before on this board.

15. gregsalmon

gregsalmon New Member

Sometimes a drift boat will not go downstream in the Chehalis.

16. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Media:
    Home Page:
    Personally I will only own a drift boat. I have rowed flows on a river at 100 cfs in a 17 foot aluminum boat the river normally runs at 1200. no issues at all. I also feel safer in a drift boat with the higher sides. I feel like I will fall out of a raft. I will also only have aluminum drift boats, because they are so much stronger. They can take a good bolder beating. Go row the boats yourself then decide it is all personal preference. What one guy loves another will hate.

Clint

17. Ray

Ray Active Member

I have both an 18 foot Willie drift boat and a 14' Maravia raft. I use the drift boat when I want to keep my feet dry. I use the raft for "chuck it down the bank" typ put-ins and anything over class III. I prefer the drift boat when gear fishing and the raft for flyfishing. Rafts are great in the warm months, and drift boats are better in the cold months. I guess the key would be to figure out what rivers you will spend the majority of your time on, and then pick the boat to match those rivers.

18. isaacfab

isaacfab Member

Do what I did and get both....bought a DB on CL and then built a cat. There is no question that neither is ideal all the time. But if you have to get just one get a DB learn to row well on easier water then make the final decision. If your rowing is at all rough around the edges you should avoid anything technical especially in the winter. Not worth killing yourself when there is an abundance of fishy water that is easy to row and learn.