Where did they go???

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by James Harrington, Jan 7, 2011.

1. James Harrington

James Harrington Active Member

Up until the last week I was seeing a decent number of rezzies jumping down at the Narrows every time I fished. Last two times out it has been little or nothing. Usually still see the occasional fish jump and some swirls/rises but not like it was. I've got some time today so I'm thinking about trying Titlow on the other side and maybe the pier on the island named for small canine predators.

Anyone else found them anywhere? PM if you don't feel comfortable broadcasting on here. I'll kindly respond if I find some.

Thanks,

James

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

Resident coho, like any other fish, are primarily concerned, throughout their lives, with the search for food. Puget Sound is a highly complex and constantly changing body of water and concentrations of baitfish, amphipods, euphausiids and other forms of forage change on an almost daily basis. Where they go, so go the coho (and the cutthroat).

3. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Preston is correct but you may not be seeing them. Look hard and you might see noses tipping the surface as they will get on euphasids this time of year. It will look exactly like trout sipping tricos. If you see them moving up against the tide, at the seam edge cast a #10PS Krill or Crazy Plankton on an intermediate line. Do not strip. Let the fly dead drift into the school.

4. James Harrington

Thank you gents.

Without stripping and therefore feeling resistance on a strike, what can I expect from a dead drift pickup be it tactile or visual?

5. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

James:

Over the years I have found that resident coho often start "showing" themselves at the same part of the tide most days for periods up to a month or so. However, when they will "show" up depends on: (1) brightness of the day(cloud cover and early or late in day best), (2) amount of tide exchange(big exchanges are often best), and (3) ebb tides are often when resident coho are the most active.

In the past few weeks you were seeing fish so I would suggest that you fish the same area in the next week or so when there are similar conditions(tides and weather). Keeping a detailed fishing journal for each outing will help immensely to try and zero in when conditions are best for having success fishing an area for resident coho.

It must be remembered that fishing for resident coho is often a "hunt and seek" game.

Roger

6. James Harrington

Definitely starting the journal. From the research I've done on this site as well as from print, the journal seems to be a consistently recurring theme.

I'm out the door starting now and plan to hit these spots (at least scouting/observing if not actually casting) in this order:

Purdy
    The Narrows
    Titlow

Perhaps Kopachuck on the return.

I'll post a report on my findings.

-James

7. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

You should both see it, providing you know where your fly is, and feel it as they will turn down with the fly as most saltwater fish do.

Leland.

8. nailbender

nailbender Active Member

Media:
    I dont know if this help cause I dont fish south but look for birds to and if they are rafted up and look lazy it aint happening if you see diving birds working they think its gonna happen (usually bait fish) if big gulls are wheeling and diving its happening If you see little bonaparte gulls or both going its often (krill) all little stuff is krill to me if I see seals swimming like they are hunting and they stick around awhile I know there are fish If I see deer otters or other mamals being active I can often find active fish I'm constantly scanning from side to side looking the journal will reveal a seasonal hatch guide as well as for stage of tide Steve Ramonds book gets into tides more than Les Johnsons stuff but its more of science project than a fun read another source is captian jacks current tables but just keep looking around you'll start to see stuff alot of people never do

9. James Harrington

My new journal entry will read:

1/7/2011
    Purdy-High wind and extreme chop on the water at low tide. 40 degrees and overcast. No fish sighted.
    Scenic Beach State Park- similar conditions on incoming tide. Slightly less wind. One good pull on gray over white clouser but otherwise no fish.

Basically the wind was a formidable foe and I got the skunk on. Didn't even head to the Narrows after Purdy. Something about the high winds sent me North.

Oh well. Still beats work any day.

10. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I would suggest that your journal contain facts that will help you next week, month or year. And wind is variable and not one to be counted on such as tide and time.

For instance: Hit Purdy at 00AM at __________ beach. The high tide was at 00AM and 00feet and low at 00PM at 00feet. Need to get there a little earlier as the tide was already moving. Saw two fish roll at the seam just outside the point. Two guys were leaving as I arrived. They didn't catch anything. I fished the green and white clouser and switched to Leland's popper. Had three follows, hooked two and landed them both. They were all in the north side of the point. The wind came in from the SW in my face. It was doable but tough (find a NW facing beach next time) Etc, etc.

Leland.

11. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

In order to get a better handle on migration, stocking levels and other habits of of resident Coho, we're in the planning phase for holding "fish ins" around the sound for the next couple of years.

A volunteer group made up of advocates, current and retired WDFW bios, hatchery managers shop owners and the like has been meeting to explore how to restore the superb coho fishery once enjoyed across the region.

On given dates (first coming up in February) volunteers will fish from beaches and boats, and record data like size, health, differential hatchery clips, etc. Biologists will collect scale samples. The objective is to capture data that will aid in focusing energy and funding toward steps that will enable recovery.

Knowing which areas concentrate fish, what hatcheries are most effective and streams that may or may not be diluted with hatchery spawners will provide leverage for future recovery.

So far, we have commitments for help from Gig Harbor Fly Shop, Puget Sound Fly Co, WDFW, the Squaxin Tribe and South Sound Fly Fishers.

To participate, contact the fly shops or email me. Leland, I hadn't written you yet,as we're starting here in the South, but your name has come up for a contact in the north.

12. James Harrington

Thanks Leland.

Those details you mention provide far greater insight than my rudimentary observations.

Also would like to ask about rigging for fishing your popper. My inclination is that as it is a surface pattern I need to ditch the intermediate sink tip and fish it on a tapered leader tied directly to fly line. Am I accurate in my assumption? It seems counter-intuitive to fish it on a section of line that will sink.

James

13. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

James,

Yes, fish it on a floating line, 9' leader tapered to 0X or 1X as no one is leader shy when you feed only 30' from shore.

Leland.

14. TD

TD Active Member

May I ask; Do you tie the popper on with a loop connection so the 0X or 1X has less direct affect on the movement?

15. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Yes, with a small loop.

Leland.

16. TD

TD Active Member

Thank you Leland.

Tim