where did you start fly fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tlcgpw, Mar 4, 2007.

1. LT Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Fished Puget Sound with gear from the time I was old enough to sit in a boat ( about 2) and then when I was fourteen we took a week trip upto Lake Hihium BC. From that point on I was addicted to flyfishing.
  2. Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Maple Valley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Late 60's early 70's in Utah on the small creek that ran by our ranch. 8"-10" rainbows all day long. I still fish it when in the area and it is still good fun. Got serious after highschool and spent quite a bit of time in the Island Park ID area and Yellowstone. Been hooked ever since.
  3. herl Member

the other washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Gunpowder Falls, just North of Baltimore, MD. A tailwater with wild browns.

Attached Files:

4. Bill Reed New Member

Fort Collins, Colorado
    Big Thompson River, Colorado
  5. John Hilt YeeeeHaaw

Colorado
    Rock Creek, MT. Caught 2 fish ('bow and brown) on my first 5 casts!
  6. JS Active Member

Ratings: +41 / 0
    Tiny trout streams in southeast and northeast washington. Eager little bows and brookies that were hard to keep off the line. Its easy to become a trout bum on those waters and I fell for it...hard.
    cheers
    skeels
  7. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +268 / 0
    (Red Lodge) Rock Creek, Montana(age 12). Caught a 6" brookie and a 10" westslope on a grey hackle peacock, after hiking 5 miles into the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness. My mom caught here first trout on a fly there the next summer. Then I moved on to the Bighorn, where those piggish browns and rainbows skunked me about 8 times before I landed a 6lb rainbow on a woolhead sculpin.
  8. Donald Johnson cuttman

Seaview WA
    NF Stilly, way back when the coastal cuttthoat fishing was good.
  9. Dan Kell New Member

Everett, WA
    Klamath river, California
  10. Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Slacking in Mill Creek
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Ford Fenders introduced me to flyfishing on the upper Skykomish on a hot summer day about 3 years ago, shortly after I relocated here from St. Louis. I was amazed at the beauty of that river that day as I had never seen anything like it before. Before that all I ever knew of was bass/crappie/catfish fishing in lakes in the midwest.

:beer2:
    Christian
  11. yuhina Tropical member

Boston-Idaho
    Ratings: +43 / 0
    I wish I can say that too! Nice SuperDave:beer2:

I caught my first trout from Provo river, Utah. Since then I see it as my home river.
    I learn a lot from this website WFF, Thank you all!:beer2: Many awesome people come and go. A member here "worldanglr", his stories give me lot's of inspiration. I guess I will FF for trout and study them in the rest of my life. :D

Attached a picture from Mid- Provo and my good luck flies in August PMD hatch.
  12. johnmetcalfe New Member

WA
    It twas 2 years ago........about a day like this, I had just finished sitting through what seemed the longest sermon ever. As I was exitting the church I saw a flyrod in my pastor's office wall. I asked him about it and we had a nice conversation and he refered me to a place on pacific highway called puget sound fly co. I walked in there with my dad and was amazed by everything. Ever since then I live and breath fly fishing.
    Jm

Why are whoppers so good?
  13. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Well I see some other eastern fly fishers here,

Here is mine, 47 years ago on NJ April trout opening day, cold and rainy as I remember. Believe we tried some nymphs unsuccessfully and then reverted to worms and salmon eggs on our 6 wgt glass fly rods with auto fly reels. I did not catch any but my friend Jackie did.

Its still being fly fished today its a hatchery stocked river. But this is where we as kids first started with the fly rod.. Saw these older fellows fishing the fly rods and started learning from them.

When we got our drivers licenses we graduated to the big time of NYS Catskill rivers Beaverkill, Willowemoc, Delawares, Esopus and the PA trout rivers.

Last 28 years in the western GLs primarily.

BG

Ramapo River - NJ

[IMG]

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/ramapo.html

duvall, wa
    the big time...thats good stuff. my home waters. i would love to go back some time and fish them again, especially the branches of the delaware...:beer2:
  15. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    Yes but its different now on the D's lots of drift boats, back in the 60s and 70s you may see one canoe all day and not many other anglers, not the same per my NJ fly fisher friends.

Believe the Beaverkill and Willow though have banned the DBs.

Still have to get back there and do some fly fishing soon, will be in NJ for a reunion this summer but down the Jersey shore on Barnegat Bay. Probably not enough time to go up there and do a day or two fly fishing given the family event.

Some fly fishing on Barnegat Bay from my brothers 30 foot fishing machine is possible though.

:beer2:

BG
  16. ratcitycat New Member

rat city ,wa
    Back in 1979 on Martha lake by George.I had just got into fishing and the guy(Mike Issacs) who worked at Sportswest in W.Seattle took my cousin and myself under his tuteledge:ray1: .Trolled around with a type of shrimp fly and knocked'em dead then went and picked ditch asparagus on the way back home.That day really sparked my interest in fishing and I have never stopped.:beer2:
    Mike
  17. troutman101 Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    North Fork of the Skykomish

[IMG]
  18. Charlie Erdman In search of steel

K. Falls, OR
    when I was about 18 on a small little river about ten minutes from my house, called Lewis Creek I think, in good ole vermont. Caught a nice four inch trout, a rainbow I think. It was a pretty good day.
  19. robl Member

Richland WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I had my first day of fly fishing on a cold april day in 1993. I was barely ten and my dad thought that big lahontans might be a good way to start me off. I went home with only wind knots and frustration. I caught my first fish on a fly rod that summer in an alpine lake in wyoming. I'll never forget the way that cutt rocketed toward my #16 hairwing grizzly dun. Two jumps and a hardrun later I held and released a gorgeous 14" yellowstone cutt. Can't forget it. I got frustrated with fly fishing in eastern washington for a few years and sort of gave up tying and fishing. When I was fifteen I was back in wyoming spending an amazing week battling 17" cutts on grasshoppers. I've been hooked ever since. I've since been all over searching for different species of salmonids; mostly in the backcountry. I hope the day I die, many years hence, I'll be in an epic battle with a huge native cutt in some river in the middle of nowhere.
  20. robl Member

Richland WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    I had my first day of fly fishing on a cold april day in 1993. I was barely ten and my dad thought that big lahontans might be a good way to start me off. I went home with only wind knots and frustration. I caught my first fish on a fly rod that summer in an alpine lake in wyoming. I'll never forget the way that cutt rocketed toward my #16 hairwing grizzly dun. Two jumps and a hardrun later I held and released a gorgeous 14" yellowstone cutt. Can't forget it. I got frustrated with fly fishing in eastern washington for a few years and sort of gave up tying and fishing. When I was fifteen I was back in wyoming spending an amazing week battling 17" cutts on grasshoppers. I've been hooked ever since. I've since been all over searching for different species of salmonids; mostly in the backcountry. I hope the day I die, many years hence, I'll be in an epic battle with a huge native cutt in some river in the middle of nowhere.