where did you start fly fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tlcgpw, Mar 4, 2007.

1. robl

robl Member

Media:
    Sorry posted twice

2. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Summer of 71 . Spearfish creek in So.Dak. & the mighty Cedar in good old Renton WA. !!!!

3. Jake Smulkowski

Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

Media:
    Home Page:
    My first fly trip was solo on a small lake at about 8000' that was a gnarly hike out of McCall, ID when I was teaching there 5 years ago. I caught two stunted little rainbows. I got hooked when I went with board member and buddy DM to the St. Joe one nasty day, got skunked for about 7 hours, then the rain started falling and the cutts hit everything imaginable...I got more fish then I could count that afternoon. Had a couple great trips following that, Kelly Crick, et. al. Nearly quit when some dumb bastard dropped his keys in a river in BF Idaho, but overcome adversity and near starvation to live and breathe fly fishing. Obsession struck after catching and releasing a beautiful native cutt on a tie of my own design and rod I built.

4. hbstriker

hbstriker Member

For me it was trophy lakes golf course and casting. I buddy figured it would be a great place to really get me excited about it, and it was! Though I never landed any of those monsters, watching them take my flies was enough for me. My first river ever was the Skok, and it still is my favorite river.

5. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Caught my first trout on a fly in the Walla Walla River in Oregon when I was a kid about 1959. I had an old cheap bamboo fly rod (South Bend). Really got serious about fly fishing and tying my own flies in 1973. Its been my primary source of fishing ever since. My first good experiences fly fishing were on Moccasin Lake out of Winthrop, WA and Chewack, and Methow River out of Winthrop also. I lived in Winthrop from 1973 - 75. Moccasin Lake back then was maintained by the State, it is now a private lake.

KEH

6. Joel Wood

Joel Wood ahteef

Media:
    I started in the early 70's. In 9th grade we had a fly tying club, that's where I first layed my hands on a fly tying vise. I tyed up a white marabou streamer and caught my first Bow on the West Branch of the Octoraro Creek (Fly Fishing only area) in the southern part of Lancaster Co. PA.

7. wolverine

wolverine Member

Little 2 heart river in Michigans upper peninsula in 1955. Dad decided that I was old enough to take one of his old fly rods and poke thru the brush for some nice brookies.

8. Ron Olsen

Ron Olsen Member

Boy scouts. My Dad got me a combination rod, had a sliding reel seat that could throw spinning gear or a fly line. Caught may fish in the Cascades in the late 50's and early 60's. Then came the trip accross the Olympics. Up the Quinault, over the low divide, down the Elwha, then up over the pass and down the Dose. I was mostly spinning, but one evening on the Elwha the magic happened. Right where Hayes River joins. Warm evening and the hatch started. I had never seen so many trout. Many of size. On top. I switched to fly gear and caught 12" to 18" fish till my arms hurt. Never went back to the Mitchel 300.

Ronbow

9. SightCast6X

SightCast6X americanshotgunner.com

My farm pond in South eastern Pennsylvania around 8 years old. I started reading about fly fishing in books that my parents got me. My dad and I always fished with bait when I was younger mainly on stocked fish. It was combat fishing conditions, but I would catch trout then put them in a 5 gallon bucket, and my dad and I would take them home to our pond were they did really well. We had many limestone springs feeding into the pond keeping the water temp low even in summer. I was a volunter with our local trout club on river restoration and stocking.

Then around 9 my dads good friend from Pocotello ID invited us to Yellowstone on a summer vacation and I went fly fishing on the Beaverhead and never looked back. That was 24 years ago. I can still remember fishing for trout on my pond. I used to feed the trout earthworms in the summer, and knew many of them by name.

:cool:

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    NF Toutle River in SW WA. Cheap 8 1/2' Eagle Claw fly rod, cheaper Pfluger reel that makes the Medalist seem like a Bogdan, and cheap level fly line. Didn't know squat about tapered lines, fly casting (I read the Outdoor Life article titled: "Learn to fly cast in 20 minutes" It didn't really work.) My best flies were Muddler Minnows ($0.35 and regular flies were only $0.25). I beat the water to a froth, let the current straigten my line out, and trout took the fly. I was hooked and have been ever since.

11. Jonathan Gardner

Jonathan Gardner Jon Gardner

Home Page:
    Big Wood River, ID, but didn't catch a thing. I kept trying though... it was three years before I actually caught something on a fly, this time in the Spokane River. I didn't have a rod to use, so I bought an old bamboo fly rod at a yard sale for $5 then re-wrapped it according to a booklet from Gudebrod. Aside from a problem with the ferrules not being very tight, it worked well.

12. spowino

spowino New Member

North Idaho.

I don't remember catching my first fish on a fly rod but have seen movies my mother took of it.
    Dad took us to a lake in the mid to late 50's and would cast out and then hand me the rod. When he would yell "go" I would run up the big rock I was standing on and there would be a small cuttie on the end.

As I got a little older he gave me a rod and reel. I couldn't cast very far at all, but caught a few none the less.

I quit flyfishing for several years during the 70's and early 80's trying to raise a family and then returned to it. Loving every minute of it.

When Dad died, I got all his gear. I got my first rod back and now I know why I couldn't cast more than about 20', besides my being about 9 or 10 years old, he was old school and didn't know about matching rods to reels or what line weight was all about. The rod I started on was an old fiberglass Fenwick that was a 9wt and the line I was using was maybe 4 or 5wt and probably 10 years old then.

He didn't know anything about backing on a reel probably because the biggest fish he caught on a fly was about 12". The reel I used back then was an automatic. For grins, my brother and I would reel in these "monsters" by hitting the button and next thing you knew, the fish was at the tip!

The last few years of his life, I took him to the Joe and Kelly creek, but he just had a real tough time turning fish loose. He was from the time where you ate everything you caught. When I told him it was CNR he'd say "Catch and release? Hell, fry 'em in grease"!

13. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Back home on the MF Boise River, late '80's. Haven't been back there to fish since 1993 while I was stationed out at Whidbey. Fond memories...

14. 05tacoma

05tacoma Member

Any and every place in western Montana that had running water that I could get my folks to stop at. Basically, Kalispell to Yellowstone Park. My favorite place we camped at was Rock Creek. I had a choice one summer... go to Disneyland or go fishing/camping at Yellowstone. That was no contest. Yellowstone of course :)

15. Skilly

Skilly Member

In the mid 1940s down in Utah. I grew up there and fly fishing was a way of life with my Dad, Grandfathers and Uncles. One of them had me in tow most of the summer.

Skilly

16. Jim Reed

Jim Reed member

My first fly caught fish,a Brookie on the Gibbon River in Yellowstone Park circa 1979

17. Chris Kunin

Chris Kunin New Member

In 2001, I took a road trip to Jackson, WY to visit an old friend from high school. I watched him stalk fish on the Snake River. I tried to fish, but had never tried fly casting, so I'm not sure I would call what I did fishing. Watching him was much more satisfying. The combination of the stalking, casting, and the view of the full-frontal Tetons definitely left it's mark. I returned home and was determined to start fly fishing. Within a month, I was experiencing my first true day of fly fishing on the Trinity River in Nor Cal just below Lewiston Lake. I had VERY low expectations, but I was taught how to high-stick the whitewater and I landed over a dozen. They weren't big, but that didn't matter. I was hooked from that moment. It was a Friday thru Sunday trip and before the day of fishing Sunday, I bought a rod & reel. I've been lucky enough to spend many days on many great rivers since then.

18. Canoe Rider

Canoe Rider Member

Me too. :beer2: I had a good feeling there was another Esopus fly fisher here.

We had a cabin on Fox Hollow Road in Allaben, about a 1/4 mile up from the river. Sadly, it was sold by my Mom last year.

19. Marty

Marty New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I don’t feel so old after reading this thread. It was the mid 70s for me, guided trip on the South Fork of the Snake. It was hopper season and I can remember catching a lot of fish. I was 15. I caught my first fish on one of my flies years latter. The fly was a brown bi-visible. I was wadding the Provo River in Utah in a pair of old boot foot rubber waders. I took a big fall, filled my boots, when I got my feet back under me I had a fish on, it was an 8” cutt. I hooked my steelhead in the 80s, my first Atlantic in the 90s and my first sea run brown in the 00s. Fly fishing has always been a big part of my life and has taken me all over the world. There is something about it that I can't get out of my system, hope I never will.:beer2:

20. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Early sixties or late fifties I would guess was when I fly fished for the first time. It would have been on the Rogue River somewhere below Gold Ray dam.

I got serious about fly fishing in the late eighties fishing the Skagit.