where did you start fly fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tlcgpw, Mar 4, 2007.

1. thats unfortunate... i spent most of my time around jewett and right around phoenicia.
    have you been back lately? last i was there the river was not in very good shape.

2. WOW!! This is awsome. Many guys here MUCH older than me. Good to hear they are still fishing. I will be there someday.

Anyway, first fly fishing would be in one of the several Bellingham creeks when I was 7 and that would have been 1988......that seems like a long time ago hehehehe not to some of you though.

3. I started seriously fly fishing in 2001 or somewhere around there when I was 16 and could actually drive myself to do some fishing. I remember getting fed up with fishing for trout with power bait and pulling up fish that were basically dead already making catch and release nearly impossible so I wanted to use a C&R friendly method. Beyond that I was already teaching myself to tie flies (with a bit of outside help too) so it only seemed natural to actually fish with them.

While I had dabbled in with flyfishing before this point in the Olympics a tiny bit and in Colorado once, the place where I really learned to fly fish was a local cutthroat pond about 5 minutes from my house. Starting at this spot really helped me develop my casting skills, because there was a good slope on my backcast, and lots of things that enjoyed stealing the flies that I worked so hard to make. Those first cutts on dry flies probably made me appreciate native salmonids as much as I do today. That little pond is still one of my favorite spots to fish and when ever the salt fails me or I need to give my 4 wt a good work out.

4. Josh,

Ahh Phonicia, such great memories.

The last time I fished the Esopus was September 2000. No luck at the time but through the early '90s, when I lived on the East coast, I was still doing well. I recall catching a nice 16" rainbow by Mount Tremper...bigger than the typical 10"-12" catch.

I'm sorry to hear things are looking worse there, any particular reason?

5. it's been a couple years(4 i think) but when i was there, there was some kind of repairs or soemthing happening to one of the reservoirs that was dumping lots of dirt, silt, something down one of the spillways into the esopus and was causing problems. i can't remember the exact details, but i sent ny dad an e-mail to get the specifics. if i remember correctly there was lots of drama about it. may be cleared up by now, but i think the amount of silt ending up in the river due to whatever the project was, was the major issue. i'll post the answer i get from my father.

6. mid '70's, Mokelumne River, CA on the first of many backpacking trips. I was armed with salmon eggs and a Zebco, while my friend and his brother successfully fished flies they had tied. The next summer I returned with my first fly rod, no skills and a copy of the Curtis Creek Manifesto. The positive reinforcement provided by pocket water and an Elk Hair caddis created a lifelong addiction.

7. probably 89 or 90 on the Henrys fork, madison, and inside the park. I think i caught my first flyrod fish on the firehole.

8. Alaska. Well, maybe you could say the Green river in Wa because I took a fly fishing class in preparation for the Alaska trip and that's where the class graduation trip was. Didn't get a bite. But, I took the class because I decided to go on a 8 day float on the Alagnak in Alaska. It was a fly fishing trip so I had to learn. That's where I got broke in.

9. Really caught the bug on my first big trip to the Elk River in Fernie

I totally sucked but still managed to catch a ton of those beautiful cutties, and have been hooked ever since

Josh

10. 2 summers ago ('05). My wife bought me a fly tying kit for the '04 holidays so I had something to do over the winter. Figured if I was going to tie flies I might as well learn how to fish them. Took a casting class in May '05, First fish on the fly was probably the Elwha in June.

11. Started on the Kalama in lates 70's early 80's don't remember for sure. Family place was/is on the upper river in the fly only area, so it was a necessity if I wanted to fish right at the cabin. Now if they could only get some decent numbers of summer run's up there again. Started with an old glass rod and a pflueger reel, used it for years and caught a lot of fish on it. Got to flys were about anything black with a bit of purple.

12. A long time ago in a river far, far away.

St. Vrain River, Colorado. Mid '60s.

13. In the mid 70's at Nunnally lake and some bass ponds in Renton Wa, old fiberglass rod and not a clue. Mostly trolled the fly behind our jon boat with a green carey special at Nunnally and had great success. Jim

14. In the mid nineties my uncle decided to take me up to B.C. to fish where his uncle took him as a youngster. We went to the store and both of us geared up for fly fishing. I still have tons of flies I bought that I can't even imagine what they're supposed to imitate. Anyway fishing was pretty slow for the 2 newbie fly fisherman until we decided to try a hike in lake our resort had "boats" on. They were the same wooden boats that my uncle had used 20 years ago! In beteween bailing and enjoying show the loons were putting on (crazy as a loon), we both managed to catch dozens of wild, hard fighting, kamloops trout. We could barely get our lines out. I was hooked for life. To this day I don't think I've caught more fish in one day than that day up in B.C. (maybe 80?). I guess you never forget your first lol! ;)

15. The Pecos River in New Mexico back in the 60's. The best part was that my grandad had taught me to tie flies so, by the time I had enough of the mechanics down, the first trout I caught on a flyrod was on one of my own flies (Rio Grande King as I recall).

16. Truesdell Creek, south of Mt Evans in Colorado. Summer '94. 10" Rainbow on a peacock EHC. Slammed it on my third primitive attempt at an actual flycast on water. It was sort of like if you hit the flagstick on your third ever golf shot.

17. I started in the Mammoth Lakes area in the late 70's with an Eagle Claw Combo pole and a Pflueger reel. Still have them both. I used to fish the rivers and creeks as well as backpack to the high lakes. Most of the time the high lake fishing was for dinner or else it was freeze dried food meals. Bright Dot Lake was a favorite of mine up in the Convict Lake highlands.

18. It was in 1932 on the Snoqualmie with a steel telescoping rod, braided casting line and a Black Gnat. I'd fished bait a lot but decided to try the fly. How I happened to have it was forgotten long ago. Did it hook Me?? Since then I've fly fished all over the U.S and some of Canada. The lakes around Chicago for whatever, Wisconsin for white bass and trout. The Esopus and the Beaverkill (and tribs) in the Catskills of New York, the Battenkill in Vermont, the Potomac (for Bass, small & largemouth), the mouth of the Susquahanna (sp) for shad, Raritan Bay (New Jersey) for "baby" bluefish (the skyscrapers of Manhattan in the distance). The James in Virginia for terrific smallmouth fishing, the Atlantic surf in N.C. for Blues (Big lures do better than big flies though) Florida both fresh water and salt, Hot Creek, the Owens, Deep Creek, (runs into the Mojave Desert) and the salt for bonito and yellow tail in Calif. The Salmon and the Middle Fork of the Salmon in Idaho,The Rogue and Umpqua, the McKenzie and ,,Then to my main River The Deschutes The Gem of them All, from the headwaters
    to the Columbia. I taught three kids and a wife to love fly fishing and they all do

19. NICE 1st post! You've thrown loops in some SWEET places! :thumb: :beer2:

Don't be shy, now. Kick in some of that hard-earned knowledge, from time to time....

1932 on the Snoq???? :eek: :eek: :beer2: :thumb::thumb: :thumb:

You gotta have knowledge like a big river: Deep and Wide.

Glad you jumped on board!

20. My first day out with a fly rod was on the Lower Yuba River in Northern Cali in 1999. My brother took me out while I was on a break from college. We were fishing for shad and I had no clue what to do when I hooked one. I still don't.

The first fish I caught was a westslope cutthroat trout in Camas Creek in West Glacier. There is nothing like a two inch fish on an Elk Hair Caddis with a five weight. Again I was fishing with my brother. I miss those fishing trips.

Things did not get bad until I caught my first steelhead on the Lower Deschutes in the Fall of 2001. Things just haven't been right since.