Where do you buy your tying material?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Sampei, Mar 26, 2010.

1. stewart dee

stewart dee Guest

Yeah just send me money guys!:thumb::rofl:

2. Mike Lee

Mike Lee It's all about the sauce.....

Stewart, Do you have a detail business cause I like the wax job! is that magiuars or turtle wax?

Jerry, looking forward to the Man Cave that's great. Will you be offering clinics and try before you buy on some tying vises? Nonetheless, looking forward to coming by.

Adam, doesn't everyone in Whatcom County catch their own tying material? I lived up there for 8 years and the only halfway shop that stuck around was the fish/tackle joint behind the Holiday Market. Limited on supply, but if you let them know what you want they'll order it in free of shipping.

3. Jeff Studebaker

Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

When we need fur and feathers in Whatcom County, we just shave our backs and check the birdsnests in our beards.

Bellingham isn't great for fly shops, true, but daves sports in lynden has a bit. And as long as you're up there, Hub Sports, just across the border in Abbotsford, has an excellent selection of tying materials. Don't forget your passport...

4. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

Getting back to the question of where do you get your fly tying supplies, I was about to say locally. However the more I thought about it, I have moved more and more to buying online. I still buy some things locally especially when I am in need of something quickly and to give some business to the local shops. Kinda here is the breakdown:
    Hooks - online
    Necks & capes - online ( Conranch hackles)
    Hair (elk, deer, etc) - some online, some local
    Bird skins (partridge, quail, etc )- online
    Pheasant, turkey - from my buddy who hunts
    Marabou - online
    fly tying tools - some local some online.
    Thread, chenille, dubbing, wire, foam - local & craft shop
    synthetic materials (crystal flash, rubber legs, etc) - some online, some local.

I have found that once I have confidence in the quality of materials online, I am a return buyer. It easy, it takes less time, in some cases it is a better price and quality.

Dr Bob :hmmm:

Dr Bob

5. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

Media:
    Jerry, When you get this up and running let me know, I think we live near by eachother as I'm in Spanaway right on the east side of Lewis. I also have Fat Tire on tap so anytime Ed wants to come down, I could provide a beer or two.

6. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sean, I'm actually more on the Mountain Highway side of Graham. I'm just outside of Elk Plains actually.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Oh, BTW. I don't foresee this happening until this summer at the earliest. Still have alot to do around here before I start work on that. Still have a waterline to fix going into the mancave. Have to locate it and repair it. Then retrofitted (which mostly is adding a tying area) and making it cozy/livable. :)

8. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    yes, yes and yes.

9. Bob Jones

Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Media:
    Last seen in Portland Or. via Tacoma,Puyallup, Wa.
    The first time I ordered from cabelas on line I sent everything but the hooks back. Hares masks sadddles etc. I didn't like any of it. That was before the Lacey Store was here. I will buy some things I like at the store but mostly hard stuff. At least I get to look at the feathers and hair now. I usually don't count on John to be much help he's too social with the customers and employees most of the time.

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    98% of the time from a local fly shop, based on experience gained over the last 15 years. I've purchased hackle and other hair from online sources, and have nearly always extremely disappointed. Nothing like looking at what you're buying . . .

11. robl

robl Member

Media:
    It would be nice to be able to buy from a local shop but when that isn't an option you've got to go online. The synthetic stuff and uniformly produced products are usually a lock. I've bought LOTS of tying stuff online and had 98.3% good experience. Another place that is money is to just call up Charlie Craven at his shop in Arvada, Colorado. SUPER nice guy and he'll get you just what you need and ship pretty cheap. He has a killer tying tutorial site but doesn't have an online ordering service yet. Just call them up and they'll get ya taken care of.