Where do you keep your pistol while fishing?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by 05tacoma, Dec 20, 2006.

1. 05tacoma Member

Auburn, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
  2. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    At home in the safe...

Although I carry many places I go, I've never seen the need when fishing. But that's just me. As in most sporting applications though, I'd suggest a shoulder holster. It rides high and dry... if you get my drift...:thumb:
  3. razorback New Member

Anacortes, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    unless you are landing a great white!!, there is no need to carry a hand gun.
  4. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    There are many options. You can still wear it on your wader belt. Just because you are wearing chest waders, it doesn't mean you always need to wade past your hips...

There are shoulder harness holsters. Or find a tacticle vest that can work as both a fishing vest, yet has a built in holster.

The list goes on. Just don't leave it in the car...
  5. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I wear double leather on each hip with a pair of .44 six shooters and strap a mini-14 across my back-- the crowded run usually clears quickly when I arrive .
  6. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    If you have to ask a question such as this, please leave it at home secured. This isn't the wild west, its not about the quick draw, it's about reasonable prudence.
  7. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    It's a reasonable question for a guy who is new to packing a gun. Take a hike if you can't handle answering the question without being a prick...
  8. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    What does one carry a gun for when fishing? Are things getting that rough on our rivers?
  9. spanishfly Steelberg

Issaquah, WA, USA.
    I agree with Chad don’t leave it in the car so someone can steal it.

With all the pot growing operations and meth labs popping up it’s a very valid question to post.
  10. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Sometimes the answer is a simple as "because he can". I don't much anymore, but if and when I do, it will be along the reason's Dennis just mentioned...
  11. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Chad is right and I was joking above.

Actually ,yes, things are getting,as you say,"rough" on our ever increasing urban rivers, trails, woods, etc.

But furthermore one is allowed to choose to carry a gun pretty much anywhere one chooses, save from a few places that our gov't has decided we can't. Don't even need the cpl if you wear it strapped outside, last time I checked. And allowed to do so ,or should be, without any flak from the peanut gallery. Guns are not a bad thing. bad people are a bad thing. And ,IMO ,people that think guns are a bad thing are ,indeed, a bad thing.

Tweaker idiot invested areas such as the Sky valley almost requires that some protection from them is the first thing loaded before the rods and waders. Certainly some thought. When you are getting underway from the Lewis St ramp at dawn and a stolen car with a meathead methhead behind the wheel comes flying down the entrance ramp at about 70mph headon into the big maple guarding the river, and you realize that 30 more seconds and he would have t-boned you and your boat ,you will understand.

Remember that Monk????

Advice on how or wear to carry a weapon should probably be handled privatly however. You won't get a lot of answers here because those that would answer are just admitting they carry and alot of folk keep that private for good reason, so should you..
  12. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Thanks for the info. I was not critiquing anyone's choice of carrying a weapon, simply curious. I have not been around guns much, so I will leave those to others and hope that I run into you guys not the meth heads. I agree, I don't feel very safe at many spots on the Sky. The amount and type of trash is a sure sign that idiots are lurking.
  13. David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    That was LOL!

Myself, I'm packin' about three pounds of aggression but everyone's safe as long as I keep my zipper up.
  14. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    i normally don't pack, but the couple times i have, it was on my wader belt...easy to get to if needed. for some reason i have convinced myself i am safer should a bear attack me or a tweaker if i have my pistol. most likely not true but i feel better that way. i feel that i know my guns and how to handle them, etc. and thats the way it should be. handguns are no joke and regardless of whether it makes sensor or not to carry or its right or wrong, you should know the responsibility you have set upon yourself with the gun on your side. i have nothing against anybody packing anywhere as long as they know what they are doing and are safe and responsible with the weapon.
  15. wildatheartphoto Member

Monroe, WA
    Thinking that there is no need is quite ignorant...and unfortunately, until people with these thoughts become victim's of thoughtless criminal acts they will not wake up. In fact, many people who do fall victim to horrific criminal acts still don't wake up and decide that knifes and guns are bad, not the dirtbag criminal who "had a rough childhood." We are all as prepared as we make ourselves, but I'll tell you right now...the last person to have their family murdered didn't expect or foresee it happening...so you might as well do everything you can to prevent yourself/your families from becoming victims. That is why firearms are important!
  16. djzaro New Member

gone, bs
    keep it high and dry! If you slip in the water there is a chance your waist will get wet. If you catch yourself your armpit area will stay dry more often than your waist. There are many options for this location of placement. Just my opinion.
  17. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +305 / 0
    I keep a .38 in the chest pocket of my waders. I've tried a Glock in a shoulder holster but there's too much to get in the way (wader straps, vest). The shoulder rig is also harder to conceal to and from the water because I don't always wear a button/zip front shirt or jacket.
  18. Sisu Banned or Parked

some where cool,usa
    F###ing-A baby...hahahahaha
    In the home land I always had a assault 12 ga in the boat or on the back. Never had to dispatch a bear but I've placed a few buck shot loads between feet and over heads.
    Here in the Lower 48 we always carry a shoulder holster that is concealed. Too many meth maggots and other idiots out there for my taste. I'll tell ya the weirdest moment I've ever had was on the North Fork of the Snoqualmie about 5 years ago. I was way the fuck up stream no one in sight no cars, trucks, 4 wheelers etc. Out of the woods walks two young men in street shoes, khakis, and stylish leather jackets! WTF is that all about. They wandered up the stream to a shallow crossing and ventured to my side of the river climbed the bank and started walking down the road. Not a word said to me and I none to them. Made my skin crawl. Needless to say I was highly weirded out.
  19. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Sisu - does the topic of guns and dropping the F bomb make you feel more macho or something??
  20. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Wear it out in the open when on dry land or buy stainless and keep it out in the open when you wade.
    Bears and meth maggots get shot first, questions later. S.S.& S.
    But like the story of the guys in street cloths, in the middle of no where. Would weird me out also.
    I don't carry while I'm fishing but we have rattlers around here on the East side.