Where do you keep your pistol while fishing?

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by 05tacoma, Dec 20, 2006.

1. nativewiggler Casting in the wind...

Soon Olympia, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ok, I have to agree with several on here...

If your fishing - what the heck are you doing with a gun???

Unless your in the South with a unusual affection for your weapon and tend to blow things up for sport - I just don't see casting a gun as working the same as a rod....

Kinda defeats that peaceful feeling that comes along with listening to the babbling water and trying to outsmart the fish...:thumb:
  2. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Bears, cougars, Methheads.
  3. nativewiggler Casting in the wind...

Soon Olympia, Washington
    Wow! You must fish in some really dangerous places...

Guess I am more green than I thought or I am in much more peaceful surroundings...

Hope I don't need a gun when I am out fly fishing... Then again, maybe I will have a big strong man around to protect me... Then again, he may high-tale it the other way and leave me on my own! :p
  4. TheShadKing Will Fish For Food

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Yeah, but at least they _had_ clothes on, unlike the ones we ran into on the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie, which possibly wouldn't have been weird except it was late October, 40 degrees and raining.
  5. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    It's not really that dangerous, just enough that going it alone can be unnerving.
  6. nativewiggler Casting in the wind...

Soon Olympia, Washington
    I go hiking where I am now and have to be careful of bobcats, cougar, and coyotes if I am on the right trails...

I have not had to deal with the bear yet though...

Wow! Definitely want a buddy to go along... I'm quick on my feet, but I don't want to try outrunning something for sure or getting my blonde self into an area where I know nothing on my own...

Haven't shot a gun in years though... I am more a bow gal... Kinda goes along with being native... Yes, I am Indian but I am also Irish...
  7. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +772 / 1
    Blonde, Native, Irish, sounds more like a painted pony to me...:clown:

So what color coat do you have...:confused:
  8. nativewiggler Casting in the wind...

Soon Olympia, Washington
    LOL!!!

I have been referred to as a "half-breed" in the area I am which is not a good thing...

My great grandfather was a Cheyenne Indian Chief but my grandfather met and fell for a redhaired lass from Ireland which caused him to be shunned by the tribe...

My family is either black hair and native features or the fair haired and Irish features...

I came out with the ability to tan very well but the fair blonde hair... I have been told I have the native features though but consider myself a "mutt" - nothing better imho....

Never been thought of as a painted pony! Cool!
  9. dominic7471 Member

HAHA... your a bow girl, so instead od carrying a .44 magnum or a glock .40 then just grab a recurve or a longbow and hit the trails!
  10. nativewiggler Casting in the wind...

Soon Olympia, Washington
    Now your talking!!! Good idea...
  11. Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    iagree
    I just carry dual M-16's slung over my shoulders, complete with Rambo style ammo belts and frag grenades.
  12. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +426 / 0
    A question everyone that carries a gun for protection really needs to ask themselves (and give an honest answer to) is "Are you, without a doubt, fully prepared to use it if the need arises?"

It's easy to buy a gun and practice at the range under controlled circumstances. It's easy to holster it inside your jacket and tell yourself that you'll use it if you have to. It makes you feel safe when you carry. But it may be a false sense of security. But when it comes down to that unforeseen moment when your life might be in danger, how will you respond? Unless your battle-tested, nobody knows how it will play out. And our laws don't play into your favor necessarily if you use a gun to defend yourself. If you end up killing some meth-head because he was threatening your life, don't be surprised at how our legal system will respond in making your life hell. I have no experience with this, but I do know that when I was younger I thought I'd get my CWP and occasionally carry. But when I read "In the Gravest Extreme" by Massad Ayoob, I really started to question my decision. I haven't packed a piece of self defense since. Now, if my family were threatened I can say with confidence that I would die for them. But in the woods, on the banks of a remote river, when confronted by some freaky dude, would I be capable of pulling out a gun and pointing it at him and pulling the trigger? I really don't know. But if you plan to carry a gun you have to be prepared to use it. You can't bluff with a gun- if you hesitate one second too long it may be too late. If you draw your weapon and point it, you best be prepared to pull the trigger. And you best be able to prove without a doubt to a court of law that your actions were necessary. I'd carry a can of bear spray before I'd carry a handgun for protection.

Just my thoughts. Carry on.
  13. scottr Active Member

Chasing trout and birds
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    I agree that most of the time you will not need the gun but the one time you do you better hope you have it, know how to use it, and have a good lawyer because you'll likely have a lot of explaining to do.

If you fish the middle fork of the snoqualmie and think it's peaceful and safe check this link out.

http://www.midforc.org/fram?url_id=10

BTW I hunt grouse out that way and have come across 99.9% normal people and a few kooks including two militia types packing enough heat for WWIII. I have also heard a lot of plinking ot that way from small arms to fully auto AKs
  14. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    You never have to be faster than the bear, cougar, or anything that chases you. Just faster than who your fishing with...
  15. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
  16. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.
    Zen...

I'm starting to worry that your Messianic complex is getting a little out of hand.

I can accept you're being a Minor Deity, but....I guess I though the Son of God would, you know, be more...well...you're just not what I expected is all. :rofl:

You might consider taking over the Pastafanarians. :hmmm:
  17. Nate Newman "nice"

WA
    Your probably better off bumping into bears than meth heads on rivers
  18. Jason Mauk New Member

Poulsbo
  19. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Pick off a strike indicator or two for target practice, and they all head for home! :beer2:
  20. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0