Where does marabou come from?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Paul Huffman, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    It can't all be from the African stork. And none of those snappy comebacks, like "Those little plastic bags
    on the rack" You especially, Jim.
  2. baseballandfishing New Member

covington, wa, usa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    dont they come froma trukey?
  3. dlw New Member

Moscow, ID
    I think they're base (under) feathers, but I have no idea what type of bird it's on. This is something I've always wondered too.
  4. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    I thought it was chicken.
    Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell
  5. fly15 New Member

I thought everyone knew where marabou comes from, the marabou fairy of course.:rofl

Just kidding marabou comes from turkeys and some of the smaller marabou feathers come from chickens. Most of the marabou feathers are from turkeys though.:)

fly15
  6. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +792 / 1
    MARABOU FAIRY!!!! Thanks, that's just what I needed this morning, got a bad case of Boeing-itis.

Roper,

Truth above all
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I had that for 38+ years. Get used to it,it gets worse as you get closer to retirement age. And in your case it's going to be long in coming. I had a stupid answer all worked out but I see that you don't want it. But your going to get it. I thought it came from the Marabou Stork. So see how smart I ain't.

Jim
  8. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +465 / 0
    The Marabou or Adjutant stork is a carrion-eating tropical stork of somewhat hideous aspect. An early ornithologist wrote that it "lacks any charm of appearance, reminding one rather of a repulsive old man with a skin disease on the head". It is currently protected, being an important part of nature's clean-up crew. The product sold as marabou today is a turkey rump feather. The smaller feathers that look like miniature marabou plumes and are sold as "chickabou" come, of course, from a chicken.
  9. jbrodie New Member

Marysville, WA.
    I think I fished Lake Martha with him yesterday.jbrodie:)
  10. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Don't believe any lies that jbrodie tells you about me.:p

Jim
  11. wantwetwitch New Member

London, England, UK.
    Try also pheasantabou This is available in lots of colours from the various breeds kept in aviaries and from roadkills, shooters etc.

Fox fur is a great substitute, lots of action & really durable

Keep tying & trying,
    Roy