Where in Washington to find Browns?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Simplebugger, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Hey all, first time post so I hope you all will be able to help me out. I'm looking for a river/stream here in Washington to find browns. It's one that I've been trying to check off my "fish list" for a while now but it just hasn't happened. I'm not looking for a trophy here but I'd sure like to get this one done. Also any tips for my fly selection would be appreciated. Thanks

2. There's more lakes with browns than streams. One to consider is Park lake over north of Soap Lake. It opens up on the standard end of April lowland lake opener.

3. Just lakes man have them up here. I could tell you some good spots in Cali.

4. Cooper lake by salmon la sac in the summer once the snow melts, and the river in the fall is well known for browns, theyve even been stocking triploids recently

5. Hi SB,
    I do not believe that there are any self-sustaining populations of brown trout in Washington (at least western and central Washington). Therefore, all brown trout are stocked. You can find out which lakes have been stocked with brown trout from WaDFW web site: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/plants/statewide/.

Steve

6. Forgot to mention Pass Lake (westside), Leniece (eastside) and Fish lake by Wenatchee.

7. go to WDFW site and check the trout plants for lakes and what they plant.
    very helpful on where to go in your area. you also can read what future plants are to be made.

8. I caught a nice brown in Green Lake (Seattle) several years ago. Was the biggest fish I'd ever caught at the time.

Got it middle of february on a muddler minnow stripped along the shore from a dock.

J

9. Thanks for the input guys. I'd heard about the cooper lake stock above salmon la sac, although the river above lake cle elum is not all that productive for trout; I think I'll make that a target when the snow melts...I guess I've got a few months to wait. I was curious zen leecher if you are talking about pass lake in deception pass state park?

10. yep, that Pass lake.

11. I'll agree to disagree on this one, I've had really good luck in the cle elum river in the last couple years, sight fishing in the summer is cool up there, definately not yakima river quality, but a handful of rainbows every time I've been there. I met a guy working at creekside in issaquah who said he does well there also. Plus I love fishing in the snow when the fall comes to an end.

12. Also When the season opens I've heard about but not seen nice size browns in pine lake issaquah, probably few and far between, not to mention its hard to keep the stocked rainbows off your line there.

13. Ive seen some VERY large browns come out of greenlake. I was extremely impressed. Also seen Bull trout pulled out from the same part of the lake.
    If I were to target browns on the West side, Id choose Pass or Cranberry lake. East side, Id choose crab creek

14. Not trying to be a douche but I think this shoud belong on the main forum or stillwater section as there are not any browns found in the saltwater here in washington.

15. Well, there ARE a few errant sea run browns that show up every once in a while. Mike Kinney has a pic of one from the NF Stilly years ago

16. Moved to Stillwater. Click the report feature and drop us a note when inappropriate or misplaced items arrive.

17. Is the west side an option for you? You have a very good shot in stillwater if you're willing to go out in the next week or so. Story short, we're having an exceptional fall and it's running late given the "warm" weather at the moment. They can be had year round over here short of any ice but certain times are much easier than others. Anyhow, that window will close before long and you're welcome to PM me if you get serious about doing it soon and would like a few hints.

Also have a file with all lakes & streams (nearly) in the state known to hold them and 14 yrs of stocking history. Close to 170 altogether, about 90% lakes, so there's lots of opportunity but you'd have your work cut out for you in moving water. Yell if you're wanting to search in a specific area and I can point you to some of the closer ones (short of anyone's secrets :eek:).

Tim

Irafly and Pat Lat like this.
  18. He might be talking about the Cooper River. I've got to agree that it's not very productive. I think It's the only small cascade river/stream that I haven't been able to catch anything in. I've seen a few pictures of 3 or 4 species slams, but haven't had any luck personally.

19. couple of cooper river bows 283604_10151131613909120_380575354_n.jpg 385513_10151131610054120_665564455_n.jpg

flybill and Jeff Dodd like this.
  20. small browns in big numbers means a naturally reproducing population of wild fish. I dont know why I'm blowing up my favorite river, it was already featured in NW fly fisher. its inaccessable this time of year so hopefully most will forget about it by ice off. But it is a great little hike in to get to the good spots. for those who enjoy backpacking, maybe I'll see you there next summer when the stones and caddis are so thick in the air you cant speak without inhaling them 405379_10151131505689120_383760550_n.jpg

flybill likes this.