Where in Washington to find Browns?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Simplebugger, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Wow, that's a nice bow for that little river. I might just have to give it one more shot. Other streams in the general area deserve some attention too.
  2. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +764 / 0
    Its a pretty technical river, hard to get good long drifts, and easy to spook fish. I still haven't landed a nice size brown there. But very fun to make a hike in camping trip out of, there's about 5 miles of trail running along the river that give good access. big dries and czech style nymphing are the best options. Next year I'll be doing some streamers as fall approaches to see if I can entice some meaty browns for a change.
    Also it is very slick due to the algae, cleats are a must have since the river can be deceivingly powerful.
  3. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    You can say that again. It's not quite as bad as the Yak below Roza, but almost.

If you're heading up there this season and want some company let me know. I would even give up the secrets to some other Kittitas county gems.
  4. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
  5. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    The place I'm interested in seeing how browns do is Spanaway Lake. Unlike many lakes with browns, it has both inlet and outlet streams so there is a chance for some natural reproduction. The largest I've caught there so far has been 18", but I've heard of fish to 24". All of the larger fish have big guts, so they are eating well. They also like chironomids, which is a bonus in my book. There are some super nice bows in there as well.
    Growing up in Tacoma and having fished it for years, I'm looking forward to what the future may hold in regards to the browns in Spanaway.
  6. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    Do you fish it above or below the lake? I was up there last summer and didn't get around to fishing the river itself, but really wanted to. Seems like it would be fun, and also seemed like it had lots of options for bushwhacking.

Thanks.

Jason
  7. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    I fished it below the lake, but I think I will try above next summer. There is also pete lake above which I hear is great too. Then above pete lake there is more cooper river which also intersects with the pacific crest trail, which you can follow to get to more alpine lakes.
  8. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    Awesome. That area does seem really promising, and I think it would be really fun to get up there above cooper and explore some of those lakes.
    One of these days...

J
  9. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +844 / 1
    The skeeters there are bigger than eagles, and will carry you away to feed their young. Best stay away.. ;)
    Pat Lat likes this.
  10. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    I have also seen and heard cougars up there, definately not a place for the average joe businessman looking for a weekend getaway from the hussle and bussle of big city life. Those types should probably stick to the cedar river:)
    Besides, last year I was up there a day before the big fires swept through and wiped out all the good scenery
  11. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    For browns in moving water, if you are willing to go farther afield, try the Owyhee in northeast oregon, in the tailwater stretch below the dam

Jay
  12. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    I've recently tied a snake fly that I'm itching to try out and owyhee was one of the places on my list. IMG_4568.JPG
  13. skokomish fly New Member

Your moms house
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Great looking flies. Those have giant trout written all over them.
  14. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Hmmmm...looks like some short strikes too? Stinger hook?
  15. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    Yeah, what he said.
  16. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    I tied one with a stinger halfway down, but they're kinda small, I have a feeling they'd get inhaled by a sizable fish
  17. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    I fished Taklakh lake by Mt Adams a few years ago and it had some nice browns in it. At that time they had just planted it so there were lots of little ones too, but I found a few larger ones. There are lots of other lakes in the area, but don't know if they also receive browns. I had a great time fishing the Lewis River in that area as well.
  18. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,256 / 0
    Self-sustaining populations do exist in wa, though they are pretty rare. Almost every pic of a brown I've posted on this website is from a wild, self-sustaining population planted back in the late eighties but not since.
  19. gator1954 New Member

Bend, OR and Vermejo Park, NM
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Medical Lake has a good population of brown trout. If you don't really know the lake well, I would try to fish it right after ice out, or as late in the fall as it's open. If you work at it you'll catch browns there.
    That said, there are at least four rivers/streams that have a decent population of brown trout in eastern Washington that I have fished in the past. The only one I would say on the internet would be the Spokane River. Most of the browns I've caught on the Spokane have been on the lower river. The other three are way too small to handle much pressure, but they are there for someone who really wants to make the effort. Good luck.
  20. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1