Where is the best Steelhead Fly river within 2 hrs of Tac.?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Peter Pancho, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Peter Pancho Active Member

Gig Harbor,WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Ok, I'm hooked on Steelhead flyfishing. I went to flaming geyser to fish for Steelhead really not knowing what I'm doing, just doing what some articles say to do, and then I felt something nibbling or biting my red butted skunk!? I pulled up and nothing showed up, I was wondering all day what that was?
    I'm using a Loomis GLX 10' 7 weight with a 444 floating line. Where is the BEST rivers in the area and is what I'm using adequate? What things should I do to correct my fishing technique? Thanks in advance!!!:WINK
  2. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +303 / 0
    Where is the best Steelhead Fly river within 2 hrs of Ta

There are several good rivers within two hours of you. Your equipment is fine but while the rivers are still running high and cold you'll be better off with a sinktip line. Fly choice for steelhead isn't all that important as long as you don't go too loud when water levels drop.
  3. union2k2 New Member

lakewood, washington, usa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0

there are plenty of good rivers for steelhead, its just hard to get a steelhead to bite a fly, or anything else. the puyallup would be the closest river, but you could try all the rivers that run into the puyallup. mainly you just gotta know what holes are gonna hold steelhead, and what fly is gonna make them bite. and ive noticed the best steelhead holes are snag holes so bring some extra flies. streamers, egg patterns and bead-head nymphs all work well. pink red blue black and green are my favorite colors, but they all have their situations where they will out fish the other. but anyways i would start with the puyallup and its tributaries.
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +657 / 5

You can flyfish the Puy. But it's not the best fly water river. If you want good flyfishing, make runs north/south/or west. You have many streams with access to choose. Just grab a map, check the regs, and go.

Email me, may be able to lead you in a decent direction.

Steelheader69
    "You haven't lived until you've run a cataraft. Friends don't let friends run Outcasts."