Where Is The Best Steelheading In The World

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by ambassadeur10000, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Michael K. Smith New Member

Shoreline, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0

Well, they aren't the biggest fish in the world by any stretch but the Trinity River in Northern California can produce some really impressive numbers. Last October I had 26 hookups in a single day, but only 6 to the boat (they are apparently better fish than I am fisherman). I'm headed down there today so I'll let you know what January fishing looks like.

Mike
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,614 / 2
    SE Alaska. I've experienced it. Next to Russia, probably the most pure runs of steelhead. Lucky for them, the fisheries are pretty inaccessible unless you have a few hundred grand to invest in a long range boat from the nearest marina, as well as the gas to do some exploring. Because I know the few who are doing these fisheries sure as hell aren't going to tell you where to go unless you pay them $4-5k for a week of guiding. And even then, they'd probably blindfold you if there was any indication that you had access to a capable boat.
    g_smolt likes this.
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,602 / 0
    Gearhead,

Your post is a perfect example that personal benchmarks define everything for a fisherman. By 1981 the Muckleshoots had been heavily gillnetting the Green/Duwamish since 1974. Same with the Cedar/Shilshole and the Hoh. If you think steelhead were abundant then, imagine what the fishing was like prior to 1974 when tribal harvests were barely noticeable.

BTW, if the Cowlitz was reqularly putting out 30+ pound steelhead, there should be a few records I could look up, but I can't find any. But you did get the last part right; the best days in terms of abundance and size (which tends to be a function of abundance) are long gone.

Sg
  4. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +101 / 0
    You guys lost faith lets try and make them better then before. Why do people just watch things past them by. Do you ever want to hear " grandpa what was a steelhead like?"
  5. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +710 / 2
    Suggestions? Magic wand? While you're at it, would you restore those 100# Elwah chinook? :)
  6. Dan Page Active Member

Yelm, Wa., USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Darthmonkey,
    I'm with you. Take me to the Kola!
  7. inland Active Member

Ratings: +45 / 0
    Right here on the internet. Best in the history of the planet. Otherwise, pretty sure the steelheading sucks ass on the Kola peninsula. Salmon fishing can be pretty good, but it ain't cheap.
  8. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +870 / 0
    Darth, that was a really great set of photos! It reminds me of a time when I was a kid, a long, long time ago. A simpler time, and kind of makes me a little sad. Joe's right, though; working together it can be that way again, but it takes a shitload of work from all of us, and probably some confrontations along the way.

Occupy Skagit, 29 March, 2014--be there!
    plaegreid likes this.
  9. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    see ya there
  10. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    they're workin on it
  11. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    I caught steelhead in the Sammamish slough in '81
    Evan Virnoche likes this.
  12. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +870 / 0
    Remember guys, if you want to fish the Kamchatka, you get there by riding in the belly of a Soviet-era helo....good luck with that:eek: While we're on the subject of Russia, here's a question for you geography-types. Is it possible to walk from the U.S. to Russia? No boats or motorized vehicles allowed.
  13. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +315 / 1
    If you could survive the cold.
  14. garthman Member

Western CT
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    the coho (?) run on the skeena was below target this year so the fisheries ministry let the skeena fleet camp out at the mouth of the dean. the guides at the lodge where i was staying were dismayed. the sports at the lodge where i was staying were hugely disappointed. i talked with a camper from germany who had been on the river for the same week twenty five years in a row, and he couldn't believe how it had been impacted. if they have another year where they impact the run to the same extent, they may do lasting damage to the fishery, but I don't think the folks at teh head of the fisheries department really much care.
  15. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,602 / 0
    Alex,

Those Russian MI-8 (think that's right) are used all over the world for heavy helo transport. They have a lot of old birds in Petropavlosk to cannibalize parts from for years to come in Kamchatka. It is a different sort of wilderness flying, however. 3-man crew: pilot, co-pilot, and mechanic. It's comforting knowing that the pilot wants to get back home too.

Garthman,

That was the Skeena sockeye run that came in low, so less fishing than usual. That doubled the usual number of boats fishing in the Dean Channel, all for KImsquit and Bella Coola chum salmon. And the Bella Coola chums are now primarily hatchery fish, thanks to high harvest rates that make natural chum production there a coincidence.

Sg
  16. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,738 / 0
    A quick Bing search says yes; Technically, yes. In the dead of winter, you can walk from Big Diomede (a Russian island) to Little Diomede (An American island). However, to get from mainland to mainland, you'll have to wait for the bridge to be built.
  17. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +986 / 0
    I swung through chocolate milk today on the stilly for 4 hours and gave up when the snow/slush started falling.

I can assure you that today the best steelheading was not on the stilly.
  18. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +572 / 0
    Yeah but the best steelheading in your eyes is when the coho are biting. LOL
  19. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +303 / 0
    Fortson has a whopping 9 winter runs back.
  20. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +986 / 0
    Where do you get this data?