Where my packrafters at?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by JesseC, Aug 12, 2012.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    I'm just getting into packrafting and am having a hell of a time getting my gear load down to a manageable bow weight. What do you guys recommend for a three day weekend jaunt?

Also - lets just start a general pack rafting conversation....

-Have any of you figured out a good way to transport a spey rod?
    -Anyone up for a long hike in and float down - hiked up 10mi of an OP river, pretty amazing.

Just getting the conversation rolling. Haven't run into many packrafters here in WA.

2. Grant Richie

Grant Richie Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    What are you putting in there to have a heavy bow? And which packraft are you using? If you can pack the packraft and all your gear in 10 miles, it shouldn't be too heavy of a load for your bow. Or if it is, you may need a bigger packraft.

When you say transport a spey rod do you mean set up so you can stop and use it easily, not just stuck in a rod tube? My last packrafting trip I had a 9 1/2' fly rod set up the whole time and at first I tried putting the reel up by my seat between my legs with it sticking over the front, resting on my dry bag. That was often in the way. I found it much better to put the reel up towards my feet, rod between my body and arm pointing out the back. I know it doesn't sound good, but that gave me the best range of motion to paddle and didn't bounce around and get in the way.

I was using a Baylee 1 River Runner and you could easily strap a Scotty Rod holder with the float tube attachments. You would simply run the straps through the self bailing holes in the floor. Oh yes, it is a self-bailing packraft and yes, if you used it you would want to buy it. I actually bought three Baylee's to rent and sell out our raft rental business at Minam.

I first bought an NRS packraft and tested it out on the Wenaha, then took it into Joseph Creek for some class III+ to Class 4 whitewater. I wont do that again and decided the NRS packraft was not good enough for what I wanted. After doing more research I had to get one of the Baylee River Runners. I haven't had them too long but have taken them on test trips down the Wallowa River, hiked in to the Eagle Cap Wilderness with them twice to run the Minam River. The first time with another guy down Moss Springs trailhead to Red's Horse Ranch and floated out to the Minam Store (about 23 miles or so), second trip was solo going in the Bearwallow trailhead to Standley, and then dropping down into the Minam several miles upriver from Red's Horse Ranch and floating out about 25 miles to the Minam Store.

I am not up to driving to the coast where there is bound to be more people, but if you want to come to eastern Oregon you can certainly join me for a packrafting trip.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Six piece 12' Spey rod. Pack only what you need.

4. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    Wow, those Baylees look like GREAT boats.
    Jesse, what are you using for shelter? Bivvy, or better yet, hammock? Down bag or hammock quilts.

5. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Jesse, while I haven't packrafted per se, I have used my Scadden Escalade fishing IK for trips, including a 3 day hike/paddle/fishing trip into Ross Lake. My gear list was pretty small and fit into one medium dry bag. I took a Hennessey Hammock Ultralight and a light down bag for sleeping. Dehydrated food with a Ti stove, pot, and spork, a water filter straw and bottle made up the kitchen. I had the 10 essentials but kept it small and light. Clothing was also minimal and included one set of dry stuff for camp and one set of wet clothes for fishing and some stuff did double duty; for instance, my paddle jacket was also my camp rain jacket and I wore my felt-soled neoprene paddling booties for hiking and fishing. They weren't ideal for the 10 mile hike while creek fishing a tributary but when you are going light, you make sacrifices. My boat and paddling gear accounted for the vast majority of the load as for safety reasons, I don't skimp on boating gear no matter what. But my drybag of other gear was about 20 lbs including fishing stuff. If you have ultralight backpacking stuff, it shouldn't be too hard to get your bow weight down.

6. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

I'm up for a hike up/float down. Sent you a PM with contact info.