Where to find a Turbo Spinning Block?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Ed Call, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Anyone know where to find one of these turbo spinning blocks? The European source seems to be out of stock and also seems not know if that out of stock status will change.

Someone tempted me with one of these bad boys at the Hoh Down and I think I'd like to add one to my toy collection.

Thank you for passing your unused one along, pointing me in the direction of a source or random jokes. (Yes, I've searched in most of the normal means I know to find such gems...still looking for this one.)

2. Ha,

I too have been secretly and stealthily looking for said item. Thanks to Mark I have now placed a bid on said item. Don't worry Ed - if I win you can borrow it when I'm feeling generous. Oh - and what's with the mile wide grin on your Avatar?

3. Bastard!

4. I got mine at flytyingspecialties.com

5. I just spun up a dubbing brush on my norvise and it worked super smooth for the first time ever using that setup. Too bad my friend is keeping me from my goal of tying portability. I tied up a big fat bushy brown streamer with a few blended colors of dubbing and some flash. Making the brush is a bit more time consuming than a dubing loop but if you can use it for a bunch of flies then it serves its purpose, right?

6. when i enter that into my browser it says "The website you are visiting may contain malware." Weird, but im not going to continue into the site. Heres what googles diagnostic said about said site.. just a heads up.
    Safe Browsing
    Diagnostic page for flytyingspecialties.com

What is the current listing status for flytyingspecialties.com?
    Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 4 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?
    Of the 140 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 22 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2010-04-11, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2010-04-07.
    Malicious software includes 19 trojan(s), 1 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 3 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including testnews.com.tw/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS26496 (PAH).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
    Over the past 90 days, flytyingspecialties.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?
    No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?
    In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

7. My wife (she's awesome - has bought all of my really good stuff!!) got one from All About The Fly about 2 years ago. It is not exactly like the turbo - but the same thing. Makes a 12" brush with an annealed ss wire core which will tie one to several flies- virtually nuke proof. Fragile items become way tougher once spun up. Annealed wire is important so it doesn't break on the twist. I would call Ron Torda.
    Good luck-
    The "Magic Tool" is also available I believe. Different in some respects but pretty much the same result.

8. Thanks Jamie, I just sent them a message through the AATF/Irish Angler site.

JayKayyy, I got the same page on my home laptop and avoided the site. I accessed it through some server scrubber that my job site's network administrator said would be safe to use. He said there was NO WAY anything bad could come of it, so I hit the site, checked it out and found there were none of the turbo dubbing spinners available. I have no idea what went on from any malware perspective but my job site network administrator has not called me in a panic so all seems well.

9. I bought one of the kits from the guy from PA a couple of years ago . The hardware was cheapish , and ill fitting . Maybe he has made improvements since then ? The price was right though .

I now use one of these . You won`t find one of these for sale though , as only about 5 or 6 were ever made .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Brian, that is impressive. Really industrial with the milled aluminum base. Do you happen to have that gent's contact info? Maybe that is an option. I guess I could get a kit or just fabricate the whole thing myself. I've got some tinkering skills but I've been feeling a bit lazy of late. Impressive photos of your toys though, thanks.

11. Wow that is one sweet piece of tying kit!

12. Check out AAFT . They had somebody make up some super duper spinning blocks. They used wire to spin the snakes. Made them about 12" or longer. A little more pricey that the Turbo Block. But one hell of a lot better. I know Matt Burke has one as do a few others.

Maybe they can sen you a picture of what it looks like.

Jim

13. Thanks Jim, I sent the staff at AATF a message before shop hours this morning. I might give them a jingle at lunch.

14. The company that makes the turbo spinning block also sells them at there website and it is www.siman.cz

15. Thanks JohnnyD. I have seen them there and was hoping to find one that would not be coming from a shop in Europe at 60 Euros or about 90 bucks. If all leads bring me to dead ends and I can't put my $$ into a local shop or US distributor I'll likely go that route...or step up and build myself one and stop being lazy. Thanks!

16. Mumbles
    There was an article in Fly Tying Magazine (I think) a few years ago that had directions on how to make one. Not too hard to make, I made one last year but have yet to try it out. I'll see if I can find the article that was pdf'd and posted. I found it via one of the BC boards.

17. Thanks Andre, I appreciate the possible link to that article on how to build one myself. I've found a lot of places that carry the Cyclone Dubbing Brush Maker, it looks similar to the Turbo Spinner but having seen and held one of the Turbo Spinners I found it very solid yet small enough to take on trips.